Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Couldn't figure out the issue, so any input is appreciated.

I have an 03 rr with about 15k miles, when i turn the key to the on position, the pump primes, and all the lights are strong. Then, i hit the ignition and the motor cranks over VERY slow, but it cranks. If i hold down the ignition button, it will continue to crank very slowly. The bike will start with a push start and run fine afterward though, just not the ignition.

When i first had the problem, I thought my battery was just out of juice, so i push started it and rode it around for an hour or two, thinking that it should recharge. When i shut it off, and tried to turn it back on from the ignition 5 minutes later, it tried to crank, but sounded dead, so I had to push start it again.

I thought my battery might be dead, but i took it out, but put it on a trickle charger, and it said it was already charged. When the bike is on the on position, all the lights are coming on strong, so I think it really is fully charged. I thought it was the rectifier from the recharging issue, so I just replaced that today, but the bike is still cranking over slowly.

Now i'm thinking it might be the starter itself, does anybody have any input before I spend more money buying parts I don't need? lol

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Get your battery load tested. Is it stock? 6 years on a stock battery is a long time... Start with that and get back with us... T

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you know where I can get that done? I've never done that before. My previous battery was dead from sitting around too long, and I just bought one off ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370205532574&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

According to the seller its less than 6 months old but....one can never really know for sure lol. I do know though, that 2-3 weeks ago everything was running great, then I let the bike sit for that time, and now i'm having these issues.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Any auto place and load test it.
I wouldn't by a battery that's used, no telling how old it is... T

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
*solved*, at least for now

it was the rectifier that wasn't charging the battery. Even though the lights were strong, the battery was low to the point where the engine wouldn't crank properly. My trickle charger gave me a false reading that it was fully charged, after i charged it anyway, it's working fine now.

thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts