Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has been discussed a billion times, but I'm still not able to get a clear answer after reading up for hours. The responses seem very biased, based on what forum it's on. So I'm looking for advice only from people who have been on both bikes.

I do only street riding. I love the 600rr, but would appreciate some more low end grunt. I don't care for extra top end power, or the ability to go slightly faster around a corner. Reviews have mentioned that the 1000rr's feel so light and nimble, that it's hardly a compromise from a 600. This is the only reason I'm even considering a liter bike. Does everyone who's owned both models agree with that? I'm also concerned about low speed turns and maneuvering.
Another thing is that I have and 03 600rr, which from what I've read, is heaver and less nimble than the 07+ models. Does that mean that coming from my bike, it would be pretty easy to adjust to the 1000?

If the 1000 is going to be a huge compromise in size and agility, would you guys suggest I upgrade to a 2013 600rr? They are selling for the same price as 1000rr's (used) in my area, so I figured my money would be better spent on the latter, rather than spending an extra $4-5k for the same bike.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
I have an 03 600rr, and have ridden an R1 and GSXR1000 (I know, not a CBR1K). However for my 600rr doing -1/+2 woke the bike up even more, and it is my daily commuter bike. I do roughly 30km per day on the highway, and it handles fine.

Me personally, would stick with the 600 and just simply re-gear it. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
and think of the savings of just regearing the bike over buying another! i agree with juz, regearing really isnt all that expensive, give it a shot. want more grunt, then start your bike search. but who knows, you may like the way it feels.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well I've had both a 08 600rr and now a 09 1000rr. There is no comparison between the two bikes. If you think a 600 is quick you have no idea what the 1000 will be like. My first few rides had me completely puckered! The 08+ 1krr isn't a top end bike by any means, they put down all their power in the midrange. So expect power wheelies if you decide to hammer down.

The 600 is definitely easier to corner, I didn't notice too much of a difference except in the corners. You can't just hammer a 1000 while leaned over like you could a 600. 1000s sometimes like to slip the rear when you do that. Your 600 is a little heavier than the one I had, so my opinion might be a little off. I wouldn't say it would be the same style as the 1000. There's still a learning curve. Low speed wise, the bike feels slightly heavier but still manageable.

I would really ask yourself if you need or are ready for a 1000. How much seat time do you have on your 600 btw? Ask yourself if you really need a bike that makes 175hp and 90ftlbs or torque? That's over double what your bike puts down, and it makes the 1000 a completely different animal. Other than that the only other difference between the two is cost of parts, insurance and gas. Insurance is a lot more, atleast for me it's double and I'm 25. I would suggest gearing your bike first to see if that changes anything. Maybe try a power commander and a tune or some other power mods before you make the jump to 1000. Either way be sure to research the common issues that the 08+ 1krr had, some had primary drive/crankshaft issues that require motor replacement while others had oil burning issues.

Good luck! Any other questions don't hesitate to pm me

·
Registered
250 Posts
As the others have said, re-gear then reevaluate. I just did a Vortex chain and sprockets with a -1 in the front and it feels like a whole different bike (in a good way) and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
I do only street riding. I love the 600rr, but would appreciate some more low end grunt. I don't care for extra top end power, or the ability to go slightly faster around a corner. Reviews have mentioned that the 1000rr's feel so light and nimble, that it's hardly a compromise from a 600. This is the only reason I'm even considering a liter bike. Does everyone who's owned both models agree with that? I'm also concerned about low speed turns and maneuvering.
Another thing is that I have and 03 600rr, which from what I've read, is heaver and less nimble than the 07+ models. Does that mean that coming from my bike, it would be pretty easy to adjust to the 1000?

If the 1000 is going to be a huge compromise in size and agility, would you guys suggest I upgrade to a 2013 600rr? They are selling for the same price as 1000rr's (used) in my area, so I figured my money would be better spent on the latter, rather than spending an extra $4-5k for the same bike.
Yes, the newer 1000RR's are lighter now compared to the older pre-2008 models. The weight difference is minimal, but it can still be felt in cornering and braking.

If you don't need more power or top end, I suggest just going with a 2007-newer 600RR. Doesn't have to be the 2013 model. They didn't change much of the engine specs. A 2007-2012 would server you just fine. The weight and size differences from a 2003 to a 2007 is very noticeable. I have ridden them both in the street and track; the 07-and new 600RR's are lighter and easier to ride.

The newer 1000RR's are still great bikes. I've ridden a 2008 1000RR and to me it just felt a bit heavier but still manageable. Not as flickable and agile as a 600 but you'll get used to it after some time.

Good luck in your decision.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Didnt read thread.. just shut up....

Whays different bout a 1000 vs a 600. What u think stupid threads.. go ride 1

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Just shut ur face oh...

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Well...there goes your two-week chip! :surprise::frown2:
Your right why stop now. Grabing a cold one. Join me:smile2:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for tips everyone! After some careful consideration, I decided to go with the 1krr. Got a great deal on it, and after installing 190/55 tires (vs the stock 190/50), it felt great. Doesn't feel less nimble at all. Although it does feel big at low speeds but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Overall very happy with the upgrade. Only thing I miss is being able to rev the piss out of the 600 while still being within the limits of the streets. Can't do that on the 1k without getting into dangerous speeds.

·
Beer: does the body good
682 Posts

Sent from my HTC One M9

·
Beer: does the body good
682 Posts
Nice color combo haha!

Sent from my HTC One M9

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Sexyyyyyyyy

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice color combo haha!

Sent from my HTC One M9
Awesome! I was told this is a rare color combo and there's only 2 other ones in my city (Calgary). I've been trying to hunt down that orange solo seat cowl, but the dealerships tell me it's not available anymore

1 - 20 of 22 Posts