Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have 2003 RR with 19300 miles on it and ever since the last canyon riding sesh It has developed a problem with smoking. It is only smoking during a hard pull or a downshift to speed up situation. It smells like oil but the oil level does not decrease at all. I have cleaned my k&n air filter because I thought there could be some problem with it being dirty and, starting to suck air through the breather. There was a little bit of oil in the airbox but nothing too serious. I quickly checked for blow by by removing the oil cap with the engine running and there was nothing serious coming out of it. Another member on this site was there and we pulled his cap and both had the same amount of air coming out. Any insight would be great because I really dont feel like tearing the motor down. I guess if it comes down to it it will be bigger and badder than ever haha.. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
my buddies 03 smokes hard on decel.
just keep an eye on the oil level and run it til it pops.

my .02

BTW, the 08+ 1000RR is notorious for smoking right off the showroom floor...

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
So I have 2003 RR with 19300 miles on it and ever since the last canyon riding sesh It has developed a problem with smoking. It is only smoking during a hard pull or a downshift to speed up situation. It smells like oil but the oil level does not decrease at all. I have cleaned my k&n air filter because I thought there could be some problem with it being dirty and, starting to suck air through the breather. There was a little bit of oil in the airbox but nothing too serious. I quickly checked for blow by by removing the oil cap with the engine running and there was nothing serious coming out of it. Another member on this site was there and we pulled his cap and both had the same amount of air coming out. Any insight would be great because I really dont feel like tearing the motor down. I guess if it comes down to it it will be bigger and badder than ever haha.. Thanks in advance.

The Oil is probably bypassing your Piston Rings, and getting burned and smoked out your exhaust.
It's not going to be a lot, so you won't "SEE" Lost oil, unless you wait a while between checking.
If your bike still runs strong, should be ok.

But, your probably going to want to get it checked sometime soon if you plan on keeping your bike for a while.

Otherwise, just keep riding it like you stole it. :retard:

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Does the smoke smell sweet at all?

if so it is burning coolent not oil....

JUst though I would bring up this possibility

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yep, probably an oil control ring, but shouldn't be a problem until you start to lose power or get lax on topping her off.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does the smoke smell sweet at all?

if so it is burning coolent not oil....

JUst though I would bring up this possibility
No its not coolant. I figured it was rings but I was entertaining the possibility that it was valve seals maybe... Either way seems kinda odd that it does it in the first place with so few miles. It is a Honda after all...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts