Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, I purchased a bike from a tow yard since it had been sitting for a while. the ignition on the bike currently looks as if it was just a temporary switch that the previous person had installed just to get it running. It has three wires and a diode on it. It starts up every time with this ignition.
I recently ordered an ignition from amazon, but when I received it, it came with 4 wires going into the plug, instead of three like the previous ignition and in reference to the plug that is located on the bike (left side of fuel tank).
the issue I’m currently having is that when the new ignition is plugged in, it gets power and will crank but won’t start, and I do not hear the fuel pump prime at all.
I’m very new to bikes, and I want to fix this issue to prevent theft.
I’ve provided an image of the one I purchased from amazon,

·
Registered
205 Posts
If you don't hear the pump prime it will never start. Without fuel pressure you're just spinning the motor in the wind.

You need to supply the ECM with 9v for the ECM to turn on the fuel pump relay. I think that's what the diode allows and the Chinese knocks offs usually don't have diodes.

Overall these Chinese knocks offs are real crap. I'd return it and buy a used OEM one from eBay.

Either way your not gaining much theft prevention. The 600RR is amazingly easy to steal. Any but the most amateur thief will just pull up your side fairing unplug your ignition and plug in his own. Be gone in 30 seconds or less.

You can slow him down that by locking your steering. Something I hardly ever do though I know I should. But that probably only gains you another 30 seconds as he'll drill straight through the ignition and break the steering lock.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the help, but I feel like it something very simple, I’m just over complicating it somehow haha

This is the one currently on my bike

this is what my new one looks like.

so if I were to splice the black and green together before the plug and then stick a diode where the two exposed contacts are, my success rate would be higher, if not work?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I haven't had this exact problem but from what I recall one pin on the big gray plug needs to get 9V to trigger the fuel pump relay. And the diode opens the path for it. The gray wire as I recall but it's been awhile.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Instead of splicing things before you know it will work, use an alligator clip and just make a temporary connection (or any temporary connection). Then splice it if it works.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts