Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy is experiencing high temps after about 30 min of riding. He said it just started a few weeks ago. He had his thermostat replaced by a shop and the fluids flushed and replaced. Didn't fix it. We replaced his water pump lastnight and flushed his system and replaced his anti freeze. It ran around 180 f cruising at 90 he said until right before he got home which is a 30 min ride the temp started rising again. He says it sits around 220-230ish. Any idea why???

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stupid question but I just thought that this could be a possibility. Cause if I remember right this overheating issue started after he did an oil change. So he did an oil change and he put 4 qts of oil in the bike. (He's new to motorcycles) and at the time didn't have anyone to ask for help. So he put the 4 qts in and then it started over heating and he thought the oil was the cause so he added another qt so that's 5 qts in total in the bike. He then rode the bike and realized it was spewing oil out of every outlet it could and was covered in oil when he got to school. So he dumped some out (but i don't know how much). We changed the water pump lastnight and a good amount of oil came out even after that there was no indication in the sight glass of the oil level. It was all black while sitting straight up. Tell me what you guys think. I know the bikes only require 3.1 qts cause I do all my own work on my bikes.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your buddy will find this thread very very helpful.

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=196767

I actually read some of that post doing some searching online. I just didn't think it was very accurate as I've never heard of a 600 running over 190 f while cruising. All my friends usually stay around the 170-176 f range cruising like I do and can go up to 222 f while sitting at a light on a hot summer day. I just felt he was a little high. I'll send him the link and let him do some reading. I'm about to drain all the oil and replace it with the right amount and see what that does.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
Cruising on the highway (100-110kph), mine sits on around 88c +/- 4c. Start/stop traffic, it can sit on 107c-112c without problems.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I think the water pump replacement was uncalled for, thats usually the last step... Start by checking if the system is loosing coolant, and if it can actually hold pressure (no leaks)...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Someone told him to do it. I just did it for him. He found the connecting pipe on the shifter of the bike was all bent and beat up. So it might have been restricting flow. He replaced it and said its running better but he hasn't gone on any long rides yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts