Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully Im not the only one with this issue. Ive got an 03 600rr and its got a random issue where it shuts off at idle or low rpms. Ill turn the bike on and things will be fine until it warms up. It shuts off then if I give it a second itll start right back up and be fine. Well yestersay it shut off, so i restarted it. It shut off after about 10 minutes so I resterted it and it ran fine. As I was coming around a turn with the clutch in, it **** off. Mind you, it always either shuts off in neutral or in this case when the clutch was in. It didnt have this issue when I got it and didnt start immediate after I installed my PC. Hopefully you all have some insight. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
77 Posts
might be an ecu issue, is it throwing any codes? could also be a vacuum issue im not 100% familiar with these bikes but im fairly mechanically inclined so check for vacuum issues, then check for maybe fuel injectors or maybe fuel pump issues and maybe even fuel filter issues.. from there the only other thing i could think of would be ecu

Hopefully Im not the only one with this issue. Ive got an 03 600rr and its got a random issue where it shuts off at idle or low rpms. Ill turn the bike on and things will be fine until it warms up. It shuts off then if I give it a second itll start right back up and be fine. Well yestersay it shut off, so i restarted it. It shut off after about 10 minutes so I resterted it and it ran fine. As I was coming around a turn with the clutch in, it **** off. Mind you, it always either shuts off in neutral or in this case when the clutch was in. It didnt have this issue when I got it and didnt start immediate after I installed my PC. Hopefully you all have some insight. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems to me like more a sensor going bad than a fuel issue, seeing as that is doesn't happen at higher RPM's. I appreciate the advice, though. I'll check into anything and everything possible.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Had a similar issue with my first PC3, same year and the bike ran fine without it. Shortly after I installed it, the bike would just shut off when it was first warming up or at low idle and had to turn the key off then back on in order for it to start again. I thought maybe it was the pc3/TPS. Ended up getting a PCV. Hope this helps in some way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had a similar issue with my first PC3, same year and the bike ran fine without it. Shortly after I installed it, the bike would just shut off when it was first warming up or at low idle and had to turn the key off then back on in order for it to start again. I thought maybe it was the pc3/TPS. Ended up getting a PCV. Hope this helps in some way.
That's my same issue. PCV? And it hasn't happened since?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Im having the exact same issue right now as well....
2004 with 21000mi

It only happened once about 500mi ago...then just now on my way home it died at a stop light...it was a slow die like my fuel pump shut off....then AGAIN 10min later I down shifted approacing a red light...it back fired a little as the revs came down and died with the cluth in coasting at around 20mph....everytime it happens I just hit the starter and it fires back up like nothing happened

No power commander here
I think I will change fuel filter and plugs soon

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think under the left side fairing there is a ground bolt, should have like 3 green wires connected to it. Mine was loose and would turn the bike off with vibrations. Try that or the ground to the battery as a start.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Im having the exact same issue right now as well....
2004 with 21000mi

It only happened once about 500mi ago...then just now on my way home it died at a stop light...it was a slow die like my fuel pump shut off....then AGAIN 10min later I down shifted approacing a red light...it back fired a little as the revs came down and died with the cluth in coasting at around 20mph....everytime it happens I just hit the starter and it fires back up like nothing happened

No power commander here
I think I will change fuel filter and plugs soon
Is your cluster still lit? Are you running rich?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Is your cluster still lit? Are you running rich?
My cluster is still lit yes, even when it dies. The oil pressure light comes on when it dies (durdurhuhuh) <- don't know if that makes a difference.
I probably am running rich. I say that because to my knowledge the bike is stock with a yoshi exhaust, and the end of the exhaust looks "burnt" (usually indicating rich)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Lol never; I have only owned the bike for the last 700 miles or so...it has almost 21k mi

·
Registered
229 Posts
@nurdie
Maybe want to check them :/

@darkknight
My PCV will be in tomorrow, when I install it ill let you know the outcome. Did you try a zero map yet? Or unhook the pc3 and see if you still had a problem?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Darkknight: are you by any chance in the south somewhere? I see mr T is in FL...im in TX...and my neighbor, who rides a YZ, is complaining of similar issues as well. He wonders if it's our gas. :eek:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Darkknight: are you by any chance in the south somewhere? I see mr T is in FL...im in TX...and my neighbor, who rides a YZ, is complaining of similar issues as well. He wonders if it's our gas. :eek:
I'm in VA, so not as far south. For some reason I think it is a crazy IACV issue. It only happens at idle. But honestly, there are a multitude of possibilities.

·
Registered
229 Posts
@darkknight
PCV installed :)
Bike started right up and I was able to go for a short ride without any issues. So the first test was successful.
The next test will be the first start in the morning and initial warm up since the bike was still warm after everything was installed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@iptydafool
I started mine two days ago, ran for 20 mins no issue. Started it yesterday and ran fine the first 3 times, then started acting up around 177 degrees. I've noticed it's usually right around 177 when it cuts off. I'm about to put the map down to 0 on my PC3 and see if the module is the issue. If not, PCV for me too.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts