Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its not a honda but I imagine same principle...
Will make it simple to the point..

Friend and I on a ride around town..
1-3 gear stuff...
His bike (Yamaha 2003 R6) starts to shut off...
Kept doing it. Would studder... Suddenly have power...
Idle low... Etc...
Filled up with gas.. 93oct
Problem persisted...
Put maybe 15 miles on it after we noticed the issue to see if it would work itself out

Possible Relivant history...
He rode fairly fast back from work.. interstate... just before we rode (45 Miles)
Used 87oct in his last tank and he usually uses 93

Ok.. Just though the gurus may have an idea on it. He and I are pretty new to bikes... so we dont know what to do when things like that pop up. Hopfully a common issue...?

Thanks guys...

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
the fuel octane shouldn't be an issue whatsoever...

Possibly the issue is that he just got bad gas, but it could be a multitude of things with the description given. It could be fuel line, TPS sensor, mechanical...

·
Registered
151 Posts
If he hasn't had his coils replaced it could very well be that. There is a known issue with the 03 R6's having bad coils.. poor insulation causes the stock ones to ground to the block. Check out the www.r6messagenet.com for more information - the dealer will replace those for free as it's a recall item. Another thing that could be at fault is the regulator rectifier - I went through three of them on my 03 R6 before selling it for the 600RR.

definately have your friend check out the above site.. lots of info on there and a great support group for that bike. You'll see me on there still.. and all my comments about the friggin electrical problems I had on my R6.

·
Registered
176 Posts
+1 on buyin' the RR :biggrin:

·
Registered
67 Posts
the r6's have problems with the coils. if thats not the problems its the tps sensor

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Redfox said:
If he hasn't had his coils replaced it could very well be that. There is a known issue with the 03 R6's having bad coils.. poor insulation causes the stock ones to ground to the block. Check out the www.r6messagenet.com for more information - the dealer will replace those for free as it's a recall item. Another thing that could be at fault is the regulator rectifier - I went through three of them on my 03 R6 before selling it for the 600RR.

definately have your friend check out the above site.. lots of info on there and a great support group for that bike. You'll see me on there still.. and all my comments about the friggin electrical problems I had on my R6.
+1 Its the ignition coils. My brother in law's 03 R6 has had the same problem since he got it. Coils have bee replaced twice on it in 14k miles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts