Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I rode the bike to work this morning and the oil light popped on and the gauge reads no speed. All other factors work(temps, fuel,). Shut the bike off and turned back on oil light stayed off returning to home. Speedo went nuts for a moment dropped to zero and stayed there.

No oil leaks found. Cold morning ride, very little warm up time. I need ideas to repair or diagnose. Just started new job so money to fix isnt available right now if its expensive

Help a noob?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi , would look at your Blue/Red wire from the Oil Pressure Switch , make sure its not grounding anywhere toward the cluster, also check connections at the cluster and make sure your battery holds a good charge, poor earth and bad connectors could be your problem

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi , would look at your Blue/Red wire from the Oil Pressure Switch , make sure its not grounding anywhere toward the cluster, also check connections at the cluster and make sure your battery holds a good charge, poor earth and bad connectors could be your problem
I checked all the wiring and didnt find anything. I rode the bike for a test run tonight and the oil light popped back on. Headlight went out as well. Headlight came back on before I could stop and shut the bike off and turn it back on, but oil light did come back on. I checked fuses and battery and they are good. Battery is new, and fuses are all fine.

Before this I assumed a Vehicle speed sensor was the cause, but now I have no idea, and it is starting to concern me even greater.

·
Registered
187 Posts
See if you can replicate the fault at a stand still, start the engine up and sit on the bike with the side stand up, move the steering from left to right repeatedly for a short while to see if you get the fault

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Year, mileage and mods please.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See if you can replicate the fault at a stand still, start the engine up and sit on the bike with the side stand up, move the steering from left to right repeatedly for a short while to see if you get the fault

Stand still renders no warning lights or headlight flickers. Idles fine and acts fine. Seems isolated to movement of bike only. Code read confirms VSS is blown. so least i know why I got no speedo, now i got to check if the wiring harnesses are kaput.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What I know about her so far

2003 Honda CBR600RR
High mileage i think around 42000
Two brothers slip on exhaust
Power commander 3
stock wheels and engine/trans

New chain
oil changed every 2 months or mileage
new front fork seals
New brakes and rotors
new tires
Lowered

still to does.
Rad flush
new plastics
remove dumb under-glow setup from previous owner that isn't working nor hooked up

She may be older and less of a looker but she is mine and for a first bike I am trying to keep her healthy. :grin2:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Stand still renders no warning lights or headlight flickers. Idles fine and acts fine. Seems isolated to movement of bike only. Code read confirms VSS is blown. so least i know why I got no speedo, now i got to check if the wiring harnesses are kaput.
Have a look at page 20-13 of your manual for the Speed Sensor test, also take a look at that dreaded Yellow connector on the left hand side of the bike (under the seat) that receives 6 Earths ,is it burnt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts