Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was having starting issues with my stock cbr (expect taillights). The symptoms were battery acting dead when bike was hot. After cool down of perhaps.. 15 minutes... the bike would start. (starts perfect cold) Driving around with this big irritation seems to have, over time, made it worse. Tonight leaving from class, It didn't start at all, even though the bike was cold. (class was 3 hours) Here is the video I took as I tried to start it.

what do you guys think?

·
Registered
133 Posts
from the video it sounds like the starter isn't turning. I'm no expert but I would check:

-battery - make sure there enough juice
-wiring - shorts etc
-starter - thermal expansion might be stopping it turning in its case, or it could be the bushes not touching.

These are my thoughts anyway.

I'm guessing some of the more experienced members such as Nico and others may think of other things.

Hope you get it sorted anyway

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Possibly a dead regulator / rectifier (r/r) causing the hot start issue... common problem on 03-04 models, just replace it with one from an 05-06

The clicking sound is the starter solenoid activating then the battery voltage dropping as a result of the extra load, when this happens it goes below the hold voltage of the solenoid which then turns off and because you have your finger still on the starter the process starts again causing the clicking. This is generally caused by a dead battery which may in turn have been caused by the r/r, it may just need charging up but it's worth having it load tested anyway once it is charged.

And last thing to check would be the starter motor.

·
Registered
501 Posts
get the battery tested and if its good then most likely its the starter. you can check your R/R by putting a volt meter on the battery and while running it should be over 14v

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
get the battery tested and if its good then most likely its the starter. You can check your r/r by putting a volt meter on the battery and while running it should be over 14v
+1111111111

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
get the battery tested and if its good then most likely its the starter. you can check your R/R by putting a volt meter on the battery and while running it should be over 14v
Sorry, forgot to say how to test it....

As PHXRR said, should be around 14V with the bike running at 5000rpm, it also needs to be under 15.5V

·
Registered
501 Posts
you can also rule out the stator. across each coil should read around .3 ohms and output ac voltage should be above 40 vac when you rev it

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for all the replies. I will test the battery when I get off work. I don't know if it matters but it bump starts no problem.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
Thank you for all the replies. I will test the battery when I get off work. I don't know if it matters but it bump starts no problem.
that only aids in proving that its the battery.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
*just tested*

with no power drawn from the bike it measures at 10.85

with bike bump started, 8.89... rev to 5k rpms, 9.5-9.6

So batteries' not holding a charge? that what this means?

Edit-

Just bought a brand new battery which tested 11.80 out of the box

Dropped a little bit under load, when i started it (fired up great). The voltage when up when i revved it, but not a lot.. something like .20 or .30, and when i just let it idle, the voltage slowly dropped.. something like .001... Does this sound right? I'm gonna drive it to school tonight and see if I can start the bike when it's hot.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Brand new battery should be 12.5 volts or so, out of the box. 11.8 is pretty low for a brand new battery.

If you're not seeing at least 14 volts at 5000rpm then something is wrong with your charging system - either the regulator/rectifier or the stator.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Get the bike up to about 200 degrees, turn the bike off. Turn it back on and use the starter, if it doesn't start is most likely your starter. Your battery should not drain that fast and not be able to recover. I would get it to school and back home and check it again. You should be in the 12+ range after a good charge all the time. T

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got it to school, turned it off, then tried to start it immediately and it fired right up. After class I drove home and checked the voltage on the battery without load. It measured 12.01
So it seems like the problem is fixed? Is this an okay reading for a brand new battery?

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Given the bike was off when you measured your 12.01, then its a little on the low end of good...

If you have a float charger, throw that on for the night.

·
Registered
12 Posts
hopped off the freeway today, coming home from work and this is what I get right after turning the bike off...

Bike was warmed up for sure, but definitely below 200F. I meant to take a reading of the battery when it was in this state, but i didn't get a chance.

also, i don't have a float charger.. but i think i need to invest in one now. Anyone for an autoparts store will do?

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
charger or r/r

You need to bump start it and have a look at the voltage with the bike running at 5000 rpm and the high beam on.

If its around 14V then you will need a new starter motor, if not then a new r/r

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just wanted to post an update.

I ordered an 05 rectifier earlier this week, with it's mounting brackets and screws. I wasn't sure if it would fit an 03 without them. Apparently it does fit without the bracket. Well this seemed to have solved the problem, because my bike charges AND starts when hot ( 200f ). Thank you everyone for your help!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts