Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Just bought my first honda cbr600rr. Shes an 04 with 3200 original miles. Story goes an older man bought this bike with intentions to track it. Bought the repsol race fairings and did track it. Well he decided he wanted it to be street legal again so instead of switching back that plastics he cut holes in the race fairings and added after market headlights. The wiring looks decent but once again its my first honda. The fuse box is located above the stator which I also thought were under the seat. Basically bike hits 230 fan never comes on. I read about 27 other threads before registering on here to actually post the question: how do i test my fan? I heard people saying to run a wire from the battery to the fan but i am not that electrically inclined and have no clue how to do that. First time ever having this problem. Never happened on the gsxr or the r6. Just looking for some suggestions. Thanks ahead guys.

Btw im in chicago but ina few months im bringing the bike back home to arizona. Definitely need the fan fixed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just added a fan switch. She turns on and off just fine. Just not when its supposed to without the switch.So assuming I hit the switch when the bike gets to 200-210 she shouldnt go above 220 correct?

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Check your thermostat.. It looks like it either disconected or toasted...

The switch is a good Idea... Until one nice summer day you forget to look down for 15 minutes and BAM!... No more engine...

Fix it!!!

·
Registered
587 Posts
If the thermostat is not telling the bike its at the temperature where the fan should kick in, the fans not going to kick in.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'd run through the wiring and make sure everything is connected properly. I just looked up the parts list for your thermostat. If something is broken, parts are all decently priced. Much cheaper to fix properly than the alternative of messing your bike up.

Thermostat tells the fan to kick on. If there's something wrong with the thermostat or sensor, fan don't kick on, engine overheats.

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Its actually easy coz you proved that the fan is actually functioning... But the bike is not telling the fan when to kick in...

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Thermostat is purely mechanical, it opens and closes based on expansion of its components and doesn't tell the bike anything about it...I think u r talking coolant temperature sensor. I had a quick glance at the 07 wiring diagram (which should be very similar), and it shows that sensor connected to to the cluster, the ecu and the exhaust valve. Since your cluster is showing high Temps and fan is not kicking in, I think u can- for now- rule out the ECT sensor as well. Which leaves u to the wiring to/from the fan motor. You should usually start with the fan motor fuse and relay, which op didn't mention anything about. He also mentioned that this problem happened right after he installed aftermarket headlights, the kinda job that usually fries fuses and relays. I have my bet on them. If that doesn't do it or something is quickly fried again, I would start rethinking my headlight connection, or that they might be drawing too high or too low current compared to original and some modification is needed to balance that out...hypothetically speaking off course.... 1c 1c ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys. Just bought my first honda cbr600rr. Shes an 04 with 3200 original miles. Story goes an older man bought this bike with intentions to track it. Bought the repsol race fairings and did track it. Well he decided he wanted it to be street legal again so instead of switching back that plastics he cut holes in the race fairings and added after market headlights. The wiring looks decent but once again its my first honda. The fuse box is located above the stator which I also thought were under the seat. Basically bike hits 230 fan never comes on. I read about 27 other threads before registering on here to actually post the question: how do i test my fan? I heard people saying to run a wire from the battery to the fan but i am not that electrically inclined and have no clue how to do that. First time ever having this problem. Never happened on the gsxr or the r6. Just looking for some suggestions. Thanks ahead guys.

Btw im in chicago but ina few months im bringing the bike back home to arizona. Definitely need the fan fixed.
ok time to learn about your new bike nice bike by the way i have cbr 66 rr 2006 any way first remove the left faring you should see the fan the wire that comes from the ann gos up to 3 relays unplug the fan wire .and remove the seat as to acses to the battry now find a speaker wire strip one end of the wire hook onesid to the pos and the other side to neg on the bat now the other end of the wire strip both wires do not let them touch eacheother ..now the wire from the fan has two wires touch one wire from the battery to one fan wire and do the same with the other wire to the other fan wire it will make a little spark but its 12 volts it wont shock you at this point the fan should com on if not it a bad fan if it dose come on the check the fan relay thats where you unpluged the fan that little black box is your relay hope this helps good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts