Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

'04 600RR Rebuild

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  netmiles92 
#1 ·
A buddy of mine recently told me that he lowsided his ride and was looking to get a wrecker to haul it away, but nobody would take it. Fortunately he walked away with some road rash only. I told him that I'd take it off of his hands if he was serious about just getting rid of it. To my surprise, he said yes! So this is where we start:

At this point I've just been removing stuff that has sustained serious damage or prevents me from getting to things I know I'll need to replace. I'm estimating the project to take about 600-800 dollars at this time. After that I'll be deciding whether or not to sell this or ride it into the sunset. If I'm wrong.... well, it was fun and I'm sure I'll learn a bunch.

So far all fairings are thrashed. Gauge cluster is missing, rear subframe was bent and snapped to be unrecognizable. Front peg and brake peg is snapped, shifter has snapped, throttle is toast, and the front brake master cylinder is thrashed to the point that I question its ability to hold fluid. The front headlight is present, but questionable.

DMV Fees: TBD, but has been registered non-op since the accident

The following parts are on order:
$141 Rear Subframe
$9 Pegs
$13 Brake foot pedal (Used OEM)
$15 Shifter Foot pedal
$109 Gauge Cluster (OEM)
$50 New levers (not just the handles, the whole things)
$13 Throttle
$12 Grips
$19 Handlebar controls

Planned Expenditures:
$140 Unpainted Fairing set
$53 Headlight
$15 Side view mirrors
$40-100 Paint

Expenditure summary
$700 Budgeted (Average of my range)
-$381 Spent
-$278 Planned (with averaging)
---------------------------------------
$41 Below budget

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Gauge cluster, throttle, and grips arrived today! Everything looks great. I plan to install the gauge cluster as soon as I do some cleaning. I'll probably wait to do the grips and throttle until I get my controls and levers in.

I should mention that I'm doing this as a budget build. This bike is 16 years old with an unknown/questionable history other than my buddy owned it for a year, laid it down, then it sat for a year. The previous 14 years are a mystery and some of the components tell a story that indicates that it was not maintained with parts that were a direct fit. I hope that my use of cheap aftermarket parts doesn't deter anyone from following this build :)

On a side note, I'm using this project as an excuse to buy a decent battery charger. I'm not factoring it into the budget because if I were being honest, I love using my projects as an excuse to get more tools.

#3 ·
Today I used my fancy new budget exempt charger to do a repair cycle and then charge the battery. I hot wired the busted right hand controls and ta-da she fired right up! I know the bike worked to get into the accident so it shouldn't be such a surprise, but it still feels good to see the bike start. In my mind, it confirms a few things. The tilt angle sensor isn't shot, the starter relay and motor is fine, and this build is at least 50% less likely to be scrap when I finish!
Also, I installed the gauge cluster and it looks great! No error codes, no issues whatsoever. Another baby step in the right direction!
I'm expecting the rear subframe to come in on Tuesday and the right hand controls to come in on Monday. The controls will sit until I get the new levers, but the subframe will be a great opportunity to get some real work done on this rebuild.

#4 ·
Rear subframe came in... unfortunately it doesn't fit the bike. It is for a 2005-06, not an 03-04. This will be an expensive mistake that I'll certainly pay for in my budget. I should be able to sell it for a modest loss, but in the meantime, I'll be down cash. I'll also lose a decent amount of time on the build with this mistake. It's not the end of the world by any stretch, but it is a smidgen disheartening and inconvenient. The other thing that is pacing the build is the levers I ordered. They aren't due to arrive for another month. I don't know if the huge delay is COVID-19 related, but it might be.

Also, I got the paperwork done and the bike is officially mine. DMV fees (registration, transfer, etc.) came out to $178. That was steeper than I expected, but this wasn't really a budget item for me.

I know builds are best when there are lots of pictures, but other than the bike being cleaner, it still looks mostly the same. I'll be sure to update this when I have something exciting to show.

#5 · (Edited)
Another setback. The bars are bent. I suppose I should have expected this. There was some deformation on the end of the bar, but I was hoping I'd be able to sand/bang that out. Unfortunately a bend like this is a bit more than I can accurately straighten. I intend to give it one quick go with a breaker bar, but I am not hopeful. Fortunately new bars are about 36 bucks (non-honda genuine). The price is less of a big deal than the prospect of having to take off the top crown of the fork. I guess I can't complain when the project bike insists on being a real project :p

#6 ·
I gotta admit... I was being a big baby about removing that top crown. It was a cinch. I hadn't done this before and I was expecting it to be 10x harder than it was. It seriously took only about 5 minutes. New handlebars should arrive Saturday! Until then, I'll be blasting Flobots on repeat! ??

#7 ·
We have a new tail! It's in pretty good shape too! Some of the plastic bits have some chunks missing, but that's the nature of buying used parts off the internet. Luckily the frame is straight! The new handlebars are installed. I got some deutsch fittings to rewire the hand controls, but I haven't done that part yet. The throttle is installed. I have some mixed feelings about the cable setup. The return cable doesn't fit on the hand control quite correctly and the cables seem a tiny bit short for the new throttle grip assembly. This causes a bit of minor sticking. Fixing/changing throttle cables is a major pain on this bike. I haven't decided if I'll leave it or fix it. It's kind of a safety feature so I think I really do have to fix it. It's a shame something as simple as throttle cables are so darn expensive.

#8 ·
Rebuilding a crashed motorcycle is neither cheap nor easy, especially if it wasn’t yours to begin with so you have no history on it. Now is by far the best time to fix your throttle cable issue because the bike is torn down so far, it’s not going to get easier as you build it back up. Tip up the tank, remove the airbox, boom you’re there.

Looking at your pic, the bars you put on don’t look right, are they the same CBR ones? Are they risers that are upside down? Because where they are in the pic won’t clear bodywork, and the clamps look different than oem.

Your fork leg may also be bent. Might be the angle of the pic but I’d have that checked out if you don’t know how to. To me, looks tweaked back.

I’d also suggest a service manual.

Good luck!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.