Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
JUST REALIZED I MIGHT HAVE PUT THIS IN THE WRONG CATEGORY! CAN'T FIND A WAY TO DELETE OR MOVE. :(

Disclaimer: I have searched for Clutch threads on this site and found some good ones but nothing more recent that I saw. I apologize, it's been YEARS since I've been on the forums so I'm not up on etiquette and will do my best.

I replaced the clutch cable recently. (parts unlimited - 37" long w/2" travel) It seems that with the max tension settings, the clutch engages/disengages at 1" from the grip. (when pulled all the way in with as much might that I have, it still doesn't fully engage/disengage as the bike still wants to move a little) Also, when the clutch level is fully pulled in, it seems as though the (not sure the proper name here) lower, exterior spring tensioner seems to be fully extended. This tells me my cable might be too long? Edit: Forgot to mention, pulling the clutch is EXTREMELY stiff. My hand gets sore and lasts for months and this isn't like the beginning of riding season adjustment soreness LOL

I'm new on doing this stuff myself (thank you you tube! and this forum) so I had some help on the clutch cable replacement and of course can't confirm if the length of the old vs new was verified. (Of course now that I have more experience I definitely didn't need any help LOL)

So, my questions are:
1.What are the chances I have the wrong length clutch cable?
2. I understand my bike is old (2004, 33K) so exchanging the clutch is probably a good choice, however, looking for a quick fix/making sure it's not something easier before I dig in. So more for education, if not the cable, is in the clutch needing replacement or is there possibly something else that I'm naïve to?
3. How to improve pressure needed to pull in clutch?

I really appreciate your time in reading. Hopefully I have not wasted too much time! :)

Thank you

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi and welcome!!! :)

It's not so much length of cable, but difference in inner-wire and outer cable-housing that does everything. There's adjustment screws at both end, and sometimes in middle of cable that lets you adjust length of outer cable-housing.

You'll want to adjust all of them to lengthen cable-housing as much as possible so engagement/disengagement point is slightly further away from grip. About 1/2" more should give you enough room to fully disengage clutch when lever is squeezed all way in.

Post some photos of both ends of your clutch-cable so we can see where adjustments are.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts