Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a major issue and have been at it for 3 days now with no success. Long story short after my last track season ended in a crash and experiencing overheating issues I decided to tackle the coolant issue before my next td. JenningsGP March 28th/29th.

Upon bike prep inspection I noticed two holes in my reservoir reserve bottle. I patch both holes with some 5 min proxy as a sealant on top of some rubber I used to plug the hole. After testing of leaks and several coats of proxy I decide it was good to go.

Flushed the radiator and system with 5 gallons of distill water. Did this until it came out clean and clear. Add some water wetter to my distill water and began the burping process... top off radiator letting it idle to bike temp and giving it a few revs. Did this until I seen no bubbles. Sooo just make sure everything was cool I let it cool and put the cap back on and left the bike to idle on the stands to track temp... (until the fan cut on) at 207 I saw a few bubbles in the reservoir an thought that was minor... so at 220 fan cuts on and starts pushing fluids seconds later it was like I was boil and egg!:cursin: I quickly turned the bike off and thought I did something wrong so I started the whole process over again!

SAME THING!:retard: WTF is happening? I considered my thermostat but I think its good but idk. Now Im in a panic because the track fee is non-refundable and I have two days paid!!!:spank:

By buddy offered me his R6 but I dont wanna push his as I wont enjoy it as much. Afraid to lay his down. I have $400 at risk :sad3: Its a COLLEGE GRADUATION GIFT to myself which makes it worst!

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
i would try and put a new thermostat in at the very least.... unless your premix is wrong and its mainly water... worse case scenario u have a bad head gasket

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm.... yeah its str8 water plus the wetter. Before I ran the 50/50 coolant and had the same issue. Its only a problem when riding it hard like track hard. I dont ride it street soooo... yeah

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
I have a major issue and have been at it for 3 days now with no success. Long story short after my last track season ended in a crash and experiencing overheating issues I decided to tackle the coolant issue before my next td. JenningsGP March 28th/29th.

Upon bike prep inspection I noticed two holes in my reservoir reserve bottle. I patch both holes with some 5 min proxy as a sealant on top of some rubber I used to plug the hole. After testing of leaks and several coats of proxy I decide it was good to go.

Flushed the radiator and system with 5 gallons of distill water. Did this until it came out clean and clear. Add some water wetter to my distill water and began the burping process... top off radiator letting it idle to bike temp and giving it a few revs. Did this until I seen no bubbles. Sooo just make sure everything was cool I let it cool and put the cap back on and left the bike to idle on the stands to track temp... (until the fan cut on) at 207 I saw a few bubbles in the reservoir an thought that was minor... so at 220 fan cuts on and starts pushing fluids seconds later it was like I was boil and egg!:cursin: I quickly turned the bike off and thought I did something wrong so I started the whole process over again!

SAME THING!:retard: WTF is happening? I considered my thermostat but I think its good but idk. Now Im in a panic because the track fee is non-refundable and I have two days paid!!!:spank:

By buddy offered me his R6 but I dont wanna push his as I wont enjoy it as much. Afraid to lay his down. I have $400 at risk :sad3: Its a COLLEGE GRADUATION GIFT to myself which makes it worst!
radiator cap -- replace it

the pressure that the cap applies (around 15psi) that gets built up int he system, increases the boiling point of water

other wise, waters boiling point is right around 220 degrees

Reactions: Str8_Lurkin

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
^ hmmm, tenjin might have your fix. remember we had issues with the way that cap was fitting? i wonder if that's causing your issue.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmmm ya may be on to something here.... I forgot about this! HMMMM!.... is this something I can get from lowes or somewhere quick?

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nope... which I did...

·
Registered
501 Posts
yup its the radiator cap, get a new one

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Rad cap sounds like a good candidate....

Could also be the fact that it is working and the bike is pushing out the superheated water... which then immediately boils once it hits atmospheric pressure.

It's highly unlikely to be a head gasket though, cause if it was it would look like it's boiling when the bike is cold as well...

·
Registered
347 Posts
Good call Tenjin...

Most people don't think about that when things start getting too hot.

( then again, you do live in hell...er Phoenix... )

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ha that's great news... I took the R6 to the track I'll order a radiator cap off eBay do I can be back on it ASAP. Thx fellas!

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
not the radiator cap... I did another full flush etc. Im testing the thermostat out in the am. I believe thats the problem. What else is there?

Any idea what causes this? Meaning the thermostat to go bad?

Are they the same 03-07? Thats what I found in a blog but just wanted to be sure... Ive spotted on from a 06.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Water boils at 212 at sea level, your getting the water in the system up to 220. What happens if you get bike up to temp, let fan kick on and go from there? Do not shut off bike just because the res bottle is "boiling". Let the bike run watch the temp and let it work itself out. If the temp keeps rising then shut it down, if not sit, watch and wait to see where it is going to take itself.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Water boils at 212 at sea level, your getting the water in the system up to 220. What happens if you get bike up to temp, let fan kick on and go from there? Do not shut off bike just because the res bottle is "boiling". Let the bike run watch the temp and let it work itself out. If the temp keeps rising then shut it down, if not sit, watch and wait to see where it is going to take itself.
I thought about doing this... but havent. I assumed if it boiling in the reserve then its boiling in the block as well. When the fan kicks on it goes nuts and water starts gushing from the reserve tube. Sometimes the cap. I figured this was due to too much pressure on the radiator cap. Perhaps I need to take a vid of this.

any chance the coolant aluminum tube is crush?
Possible but I doubt it... havet crashed on the side. :retard: Well not that I recalled. Ill double check. Its a good thought. Talking about the tube on the actual radiator right?

·
Registered
754 Posts
What would happen if you left the cap off, started the engine and let it slowly come up to temp. Would the radiator "explode" with pressure or would the water slowly overflow? If it slowly continues to overflow that is normal from what I have experienced.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What would happen if you left the cap off, started the engine and let it slowly come up to temp. Would the radiator "explode" with pressure or would the water slowly overflow? If it slowly continues to overflow that is normal from what I have experienced.

its not good for the radiator to get to temp with out the cap. Its a pressurized system.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
I thought about doing this... but havent. I assumed if it boiling in the reserve then its boiling in the block as well. When the fan kicks on it goes nuts and water starts gushing from the reserve tube. Sometimes the cap. I figured this was due to too much pressure on the radiator cap. Perhaps I need to take a vid of this.

Possible but I doubt it... havet crashed on the side. :retard: Well not that I recalled. Ill double check. Its a good thought. Talking about the tube on the actual radiator right?
Whilst the coolant is in the system it's at pressure, meaning it's boiling point will rise. Once it comes through the radiator cap it drops back to atmospheric pressure causing it to boil right away. Just because it's boiling outside doesn't mean it's boiling inside.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts