Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,861 Posts
The CBR600RR already has cold air intake, the air ducts are directly on the nose of the front cowl on the 07+ & just underneath the headlights on the 03-06. There's no gain to be had with using sheet aluminum to replace the plastic air ducts because it's already ingesting cool air unlike some cars where the intake is still under the hood where the air gets heated up.

Stop beating the dead horse.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The reason companies use aluminum tubing for their mostly useless intakes is because aluminum tubing is cheap to cut and bend and injection molded plastics are not cheap to produce. You want thermal INSULATION for an air charge around an engine, or the heat from the engine is going to heat the charge air in your fancy CAI. Plastic is a much better insulator than aluminum. Aluminum is used for heat conduction. I promise that you don't want heat conducted into your charge air.

I was in the turbo Subaru game for many years. We would try and try to get young bucks to see that Subaru provided a cold air intake from the factory and that putting an aluminum short ram pod filter on it was actually creating a hot air intake because they were sucking air from under the hood where it's hot. They would even wrap the aluminum tubing, which was under the hood with the pod filter. A good CAI draws air from the front bumper or fender well and through an insulated pipe under the hood. Why would you want to draw cold air in to just heat it through a hot metal pipe? Good marketing, that's why.

OP - Cold charge air will act to cool a hot charge pipe. Thermodynamics and stuff like that. The better conductor the charge pipe the more the incoming air has to cool it. Plastic/insulated pipes will conduct much much less heat than aluminum. Race teams use carbon fiber because it insulates well like plastic, but weighs much less.

I usually pass over people posting their stuff based on feels, but I don't want anyone coming across this thinking the OP has any working knowledge of thermodynamics.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts