Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I installed a integrated tail light on my 05 CBR 600rr and I used a test light to figure out the wiring. Everything is wired correctly. I'm not getting anything from the tail light. Turn signals stay lit up solid on the cluster but not on the tail light. Running light on the tail light nor the brake light work. But when I plug in the stock tail light it works perfectly fine. What is up with this? I checked fuses, wiring, everything and I'm stumped.... any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

·
Administrator
51,152 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to mention, before I wired the tail light, I hooked up the signals and the ground and they worked fine but when wired the tail light and hooked everything up is when everything stopped working

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
You have led front signals? Do you have them wired as running/signals? Sounds like you do and that is why the signals are coming up on with the taillight and that will cancel the running lights. Flasher relay is most likely needed as well if you have led front/rear signals. Let me know about the front signal 2 wires wired into 3 most likely and I can let you know the fix for this. T

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay so when the tail light is hooked straight to the battery, every function works correctly but when hooked to the harness, same as before, nothing. All fuses are good. Is there a relay that could be bad?

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Okay so when the tail light is hooked straight to the battery, every function works correctly but when hooked to the harness, same as before, nothing. All fuses are good. Is there a relay that could be bad?
No, sounds like it's simply not hooked up right, most likely the ground is not in the right place from your description because running light dies not run through a relay.

Look at the wiring diagram in your service manual and compare wire colors to functions, not simply matching colors. If it works on the bench and stock still works, it's got to be a wiring issue. On an LED light positive and ground matter, on an incandescent bulb it doesn't and can be backwards, think you might have something swapped. Otherwise snap a pick of the wiring so we know more.

Most IT's are 5 wires: left TS, right TS, brake, running and ground; your bike will have separate grounds for the turn signals which won't be used in this situation.

Mike

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
^^^^^^ Correct. If you post a picture we can help with wiring.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Everything is wired correctly. As stated before, I used a test light to determine what prong was what function in the factory harness. When I hook just the ground and one function up (left signal, right signal, etc) still nothing.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Have you metered the ground wire on the 3 pin to the bike? If you have ground and one of the signal wire going to the + they turn on then?

·
Registered
860 Posts
I think that as you have no front signals the rears won't work correctly. There is not enough load on the relay to heat it up.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
That is correct with the signals, it will turn on solid and not flash but the running/brake should still work on the taillight. You have no signals up front? Make sure none of the wires are touching. If your running/signal wires are shorted together then your rear signals will come on because the running light power will backfeed to the integrated taillight and that will turn on the signals and cancel the running lights. Sounds like that is your problem.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The fronts aren't cut, still have factory plug so no short there. The front running light still works. When I plug in the turn signals for the IT is when the signals on the cluster will stay lit but nothing from the IT. And still no running light in IT

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Something isn't right if your signal in the cluster is turning on by itself. That means that the cluster is getting power from something to turn it on. If you power up the taillight without connecting the signals in the taillight does this happen?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, only when the signals are plugged in. But even without the signals plugged in still nothing from the light. I just now remembered, when I was plugging in each function to test if it worked I accidentally touched power the running light with the ground pigtail, but It just popped the fuse so I replaced it and the running light worked again. Then I put all the pig tails in their connector and plugged everything in and got nothing

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Take a picture of your taillight wires and bike wires including the signals. Just shooting in the dark without pictures.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got the tail and the factory light back on it right now cause I been riding this week. I was going to wait til I had some info before I tore it back down. But, the wiring is correct, I can assure that. Downloaded a service manual and double checked everything

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
If the wiring is correct and you checked it on the battery and it works then it would work, right? I don't mean to doubt you but the signals won't come on in the cluster unless something is wrong with the light. Something may be wrong with it.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I got the tail and the factory light back on it right now cause I been riding this week. I was going to wait til I had some info before I tore it back down. But, the wiring is correct, I can assure that. Downloaded a service manual and double checked everything
Test light is incandescent, that was my point; still feel like ground and hot is mixed up somewhere. If stock works, you bike should be fine.

Take a pic, we're guessing without it.

Mike

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That is correct with the signals, it will turn on solid and not flash but the running/brake should still work on the taillight. You have no signals up front? Make sure none of the wires are touching. If your running/signal wires are shorted together then your rear signals will come on because the running light power will backfeed to the integrated taillight and that will turn on the signals and cancel the running lights. Sounds like that is your problem.
If this is something along the lines of my problem, where do I need to start to fix it?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts