Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to replace brake pads and fluid on my cbr. Drained fluid put new fluid on but did build any pressure to push the pistons out. Decided to replace seals (thinking that was the issue).
I had a little hard time getting the pistons out of both calipers , but I finally got them out using air pressure and taking apart the caliper(3 T30 torque bolts) as I am installing back the calipers I build some pressure but now I have a leak where the caliper joins. Any good suggestions on how to stop the leak or maybe a good sealant that I can use to stop. It

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
When putting fresh fluid in you don't need to drain the old stuff, just push through about two or three master cylinder reservoir fulls per caliper. You probably didn't need new seals for the pistons. When you completely drain the brake system it takes an age to get the pressure back up.

I'm not sure what that substance is that is coming from the caliper joins, but it absolutely should not be there! There are small seals that go where the holes are for the brake fluid to pass to the other side of the caliper. Did you replace those before reassembly? If you didn't then buy some new seals, take the calipers apart and start again. Don't take short cuts with your brakes.

Did you tighten the bolts that join the caliper halves together to the correct torque?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Without sounding like a **** it doesnt look like you’re too mechanical. If it we me I’d take it to a shop, although it’s not tough I’d say your a little out of your comfort zone. Not ideal where brakes are concerned

·
Registered
18 Posts
Either some idiot used gray/black RTV sealant on your calipers when they put them together, or your bike is attracting that graphene oxide stuff everyone is tripping on. See if if moves with magnets

·
Registered
18 Posts
Without sounding like a **** it doesnt look like you’re too mechanical. If it we me I’d take it to a shop, although it’s not tough I’d say your a little out of your comfort zone. Not ideal where brakes are concerned
Sometimes it sounds more like an ass when you try to not sound like an ass. Take it to the shop, bro. Your wrenching skills are going to get you hurt or killed.

·
Registered
219 Posts
You have brake lines suggest someone was working on the brakes before and if it wasn't you that added the sealant between the halves then you just undid someone's questionable work. You could pull the calipers off and disassemble them again and inspect for damage and replace with a new pair if necessary. Below is your caliper disassembled.

Font Rectangle Auto part Circle Parallel

·
Registered
283 Posts
Also, in the first picture, what is the oilly rage wrapped round your suspension leg? Is that catching the leak you're referring to? Sure your seals aren't gone on the suspension?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Any good suggestions on how to stop the leak or maybe a good sealant that I can use to stop. It
You don't use a sealant to stop brake fluid coming out of the calipers. It's a pressurised system, sealant has no place there.

I would strongly follow the advice of others and seek a professional mechanic to sort this for you.

·
Registered
90 Posts
When I replaced my caliper pistons the other week, I was doing it for the first time and gathered up as much info as I could about how to remove the old ones. (I knew they were going to have to come out with pressure somehow.) One common old-school method has you using a grease gun to put pressure behind the pistons with grease once they’re removed from the bike. Maybe that’s grease coming through the caliper seam…I’d double check torque of the bolts holding the halves together, remove the calipers, and thoroughly clean the grease out if that’s the method you used. Otherwise it looks like somebody used RTV to seal the halves, which would also need to be removed completely. I’m surprised you took the halves apart. Didn’t think that was possible.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts