Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! So a couple of weeks ago I bought an '05 CBR600RR with a bad engine. I just finished swapping out the engine, and took it for the first ride today. The engine starts and runs fine, but I'm a little concerned about the power delivery and want to see if it's normal.

I've never ridden a CBR before, so I can only compare it to other super sports I've ridden ('04 ZX-6R 636 and '03 R6). But, the power delivery on this CBR seems weak on the low end. When I first start moving, I have rev it up a lot just to keep it from stalling, because it kind of sputters at first. Even just revving it in neutral it seems to hesitate and sputter a bit until it reaches about 5k RPM. Once I'm over 5k RPM or some, it seems fine (if a little weak on power until about 10k RPM).

Anyway, I'm just trying to figure out if that's normal or if there is a problem.

A little background on the bike itself: 10k miles on the bike itself, and 18k miles on the new engine (which came from a wrecked bike). It has a Delkevic slip-on exhaust, and no Power Commander to remap for it. The air filter is pretty damn dirty, but I have to extract a stripped screw in order to replace it. It has fresh fluids, and the gas shouldn't be any more than a month old.

If anyone can help shed some light on this, I'd really appreciate it!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All 600cc bikes are weak down low. Now, sputtering and almost stalling is definitely not normal.
Yeah, I'm used to the lack of grunt down low. It's the hesitation and sputtering that has me a little worried. But I have no idea what the problem could be. I mean, I just completely disassembled the whole bike and everything looked good (aside from the air filter, and the spark plugs being a little dirty).

But, I think the new engine has been sitting around for a while. So maybe it just needs to run a bit to get running well again. I'll have to put a few miles on it and see if it persists.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check for pinched lines under the tank
Good call, I'll check that. It's entirely possible a fuel line got pinched. Also, now that you mention it, I think one of the washers on the banjo bolt was missing (I think there are supposed to be two of them). So maybe the hole in the bolt isn't lining up correctly with the fuel line.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree with the other posts. Might not hurt to look in your tank for debris and check fuel pump.
Good call! Once the air filter and screw, and banjo bolt washer get here I'll pull of the tank and take a gander. Hopefully between checking the tank, the fuel lines, adding the washer to the banjo bolt, and replacing the air filter I'll get it fixed. If none of those things do the job, I'll probably replace the spark plugs (why did they make them so hard to get to?!).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts