Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this normal?
I am coming from over three decades on the V4 platform, and am unfamiliar with the characteristics of the L4 engines.

Moto is stock exhaust, K&N air, stock ECU as far as I know.
I read several threads I found in search, and most were rattling keychains and what not. This is a near deafening moan, I mean loud. And for instance if you chop the throttle into that RPM range, the change in characteristics is dramatic.
Here is my first impression of the engine performance characteristics:
3K smooth like a fast idle
4.5K meh decent short shift point
5.5K starting to spool up
6.5K yeah afterburners lit
7K^ so smooth and quiet

I purchased this moto used, and have rebuilt the rear harness, replaced fork seals, taillight, levers etc. I was told to do valve service and plugs at 32K miles, so soon I will be having a closer look at the airbox etc.
I am just wondering what you experienced 600RR riders think about the wicked intake howl @ 5-5.5K RPM.
Many thanks.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you TheX, I am swapping the bodywork soon, perhaps there will be room for some dampener or undercoating.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
05 and 06 had an issue with the gas tank cover resonating LOUDLY.
I am looking at a parts diagram and it shows a left and a right "mat". Since I have aftermarket tank cover WITHOUT these mats, I wonder if they need to installed?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am looking at a parts diagram and it shows a left and a right "mat". Since I have aftermarket tank cover WITHOUT these mats, I wonder if they need to installed?

I looked at the parts diagram again, and as I interpret it, there is also mats for the ram air duct covers. A total of four mats counting the ones for the tank cover. I don't believe that I will be purchasing these ($30USD) at this time, I have other things like suspension that would be better to put the money towards that.

·
Registered
966 Posts
The intake noise made by I4's is magical. Hopefully that's what your hearing.

Reactions: 498cm3

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The intake noise made by I4's is magical. Hopefully that's what your hearing.
Yes, that is what thought, thank you for confirming that . I was going to ride out today, but there is still some snow and sand on the roads here in VA. I did take the old Interceptor out for a bit, but turned around after 20 miles, the twisty roads really were a mess.

Thank you again for the reply.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts