Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I recently picked this 2005 600rr up and I noticed Saturday when I was cleaning it up that there was a small oil puddle on the ground directly under the oil pan. My first instinct was oil pan gasket. Fast forward to today I went back to my storage unit (live in a condo) and I put oil in it and fired it up until it warmed up. Looked under it and started to investigate..

Found the leak above the oil pain on the left side. Wiped it clean and watched it leak. It's about 3" above the oil pain gasket and almost directly behind the thermo housing. My question is what seal/gasket is this?!

Edit: I have a pic on my phone if anyone needs a little clarity as to the location.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Look up a parts fiche. Cheapcycleparts.com hondaeasttoledo.com, etc.

Edit: Also, just noticed you're a Kentuckian as well. Howdy.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have an oil leak around my oil pan too. I'll hop in rather than start another thread. OP- lets see a pic. I don't know of any seals behind the thermostat and above the oil pan. Maybe your stator cover?

My leak appears to be around the oil pan and around my oil cooler - no oil above it really. I went ahead and tried to degrease as best I could (what a PITA) - any tips for doing this? Took some serious elbow grease lol. Anyway, I'm going to put some baby powder around my oil pan and see where it shows up. Let me know what you guys think. I do not believe the clutch cover or stator cover is leaking so are there any other places I should check? Valve cover gasket is brand new - no leaks there.

Here is looking into the stator side of the bike: PIC of oil cooler and pan gasket:

Another view of the pan from the same side:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As you can see right above the oil pan bolt is where it is coming from. I circled where it is starting pool up after I wiped it clean when I noticed where it was coming from.

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
As you can see right above the oil pan bolt is where it is coming from. I circled where it is starting pool up after I wiped it clean when I noticed where it was coming from.
That picture is right behind your water pump right? There should be no oil coming from that as it pumps coolant. Based on your pic and how grimy and oily it is above your oil pan (behind the water pump toward the back of the bike) I think your leak is somewhere else. Degrease all that crap and put some baby powder on it to see where the leak is coming from.

Edit: I'm not an expert on where oil and coolant flow but maybe you need part number 10 : http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2005-honda-cbr600rr/o/m2057#sch409112

1 - 6 of 6 Posts