Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found some other forum posts about this issue and have done some research, but the posts seem pretty old and I'm going to post this thread to see if anyone out there has diagnosed and hopefully fixed a similar issue as of recently.

For the past month, I have been experiencing what I would call RPM hesitation. After about 12,500 RPMs in 4th, 5th, and 6th gear, this happens and the bike stops pulling. It basically feels like a stall in power. Even though there is more twist in the throttle, it doesn't pull any farther. It makes a slight bogging sound. Sometimes you can work your way past it if you are trying to pull past it long enough and not too quickly, but its almost impossible to get past 13k rpms in 4th gear and above now. In 1st and 2nd gear, it seems to rev past 13k rpms just fine which is weird. My mechanic told me to try gasoline cleaner additive and use the ethanol-free 91 gasoline at a gas station near me to see if it cleans out some fuel components, but I have been doing this and the issue hasn't been resolved.

This wasn't happening when I first bought the bike. I do drive this bike in top speed range a lot on the highway (in Mexico) for extended periods of time. There were a few occasions before this issue started happening, where I was driving close to my redline (15k rpms) in 6th gear on 40-minute highway drives for most of the drive. Could this be caused by beating the piss out of the bike too much? Driving close to redline (14,600 rpms in 6th gear) for too long?

On previous posts I found on google, I saw people mention a potential spark plug issue, but others disputed that idea. Some mentioned it could be a fuel system issue, and maybe I need to replace some components like injectors. Does anyone have any potential diagnosis and fix?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had my mechanic do an oil change and front and rear tire replacement. He also flushed and cleaned the hydraulic system I believe. This was happening before I had all of that work done though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No fuel tank has not been raised to my knowledge. Went I got the bike from the cruddy dealership I bought it from, it was missing two tank bolts at the top behind the steering column, but I have since put those bolts in. But who knows what the dealership or previous owner did before I bought the bike. I have owned the bike for about 4 months now, and this started happening about a month and a half ago.

·
Registered
230 Posts
OK. Sometimes it's easy to trap the fuel line when lowering the tank back down and thus cause fuel starvation. Might be worth checking that anyway as it's a simple job. Just raise the tank up and when lowering make sure the fuel hose doesn't get trapped.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will definitely make sure to check that! I appreciate your input, I'll respond and let you know if that fixed it once I check.

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,790 Posts
Probably a kinked fuel hose.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Bloody hell thats got to be fun. Top speed for 40 minutes? Even Honda mechanics wouldn’t have seen that effect on their design
Maybe not on the road, but most modern new engines are run on the bench near the redline for 24 hours to check reliability.

I would be interested to see video footage of the OP holding it flat in top for 40 minutes. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts