Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when i'm riding my bike, it seems to heat up quickly and cool down slowly, as in heating up when stopped at a light and cooling down when riding. Now, a few times it's been around 195 at a stop light, then cools down to 175 when riding, then all of a sudden, drops to 160-165, then back to 175-180. Could this be a sticky thermostat or possibly an air pocket? Any ideas appreciated.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mine has almost been to 230 but on a really hot day and at a stop light. I think 232 is overheating. My 600rr seems to ride really good at 190

·
Whore Police
16,493 Posts
Fan kicks in around 220. Mine hovers around 190-197 on warm days.. And at stop lights has gotten up to 233 prior to me killing it. Don't worry about 195 at stop lights.. Someone on here said that so long as the engine doesn't hit 240 you won't do damage.. Don't know how true that is.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Yup, the temps you state are normal. I think my fan kicks on at 210 - I think, I'll have to take a mental note the next time I am at a light. Maybe 220...can't remember.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My bike won't run under 200 unless its dark out and it's cooled off a bit. My fan kicks ar 220 on the dot. When I'm sitting 220 is about as high as it gets. The fans work really well to cool it down.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
smwilli said:
i guess i'm good to go. Thanks
Why would you ask if there was an air pocket? Have you had the bike apart? The temperature range seems fine but if it's changing temperatures as fast as you describe then that's not normal. Give me some more history on the bike. How many miles are on it? Where do you live? Up north?

·
06/2016 BOTM Winner 07/2015 BOTM Winner
2,862 Posts
ol808lo said:
195? Usually 220-225 at a stop light.
Thats what Im saying. When it gets warm here ( high 70's-80's ) Mine heats up to 220's when at a light. Then when I get in open air it cools down around to the mid 180's

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
i guess my concern was not so much the temp it gets at a stop light. it's just that it usually runs at 175-185 when riding, but yesterday morining on my way to work i had to stop at a stoplight, temp got to 220 (fans kicked on) then started driving again. temp dropped to 190 then all of a sudden dropped to 166, then back to 180 or so and stayed there(driving in traffic). My concern is the sudden drop to 166. It's done this a few times. that is why i was thinking a airbubble got stuck somewhere or the themostat was sticky. Bike has 1900 miles and i live in south central wisconsin (madison).

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
smwilli said:
i guess my concern was not so much the temp it gets at a stop light. it's just that it usually runs at 175-185 when riding, but yesterday morining on my way to work i had to stop at a stoplight, temp got to 220 (fans kicked on) then started driving again. temp dropped to 190 then all of a sudden dropped to 166, then back to 180 or so and stayed there. My concern is the sudden drop to 166. It's done this a few times. that is why i was thinking a airbubble got stuck somewhere or the themostat was sticky. Bike has 1900 miles and i live in south central wisconsin (madison).
More likely the ECT might be going out. Once the bike is up to temp it doesn't just loose that heat somewhere. If there was an air bubble you would see a rise in temperatures. Not a drop.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts