Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
05 Trackday build - look ma, no keys!

Howdy Sports Fans!
I just bought a 2005 CBR600rr to make into a trackday bike...

and here it is joining the family!

sadly the RS125 at the end of the row had to go to fund the 600...

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
the bike only has 17,000 km on it (so like 11,000 miles) so i thought i would save or sell the bodywork and get some race plastic... sadly, in spite of the low mileage, there was one leg broken off the front fender, a big crack in the nose and a crack in one of the ram air covers...
so what the hell, i'll run the stock bodywork until i crash and get some race plastic then. if nothing else it spreads the cost out a bit...
i've been happily getting rid of the unnecessary crap. ignition is gone

headlights are out as well as horn, turn signals, etc... pile is coming along!

got rid of the stock chain and sprockets. they were a bit nasty/rusty, so i've ordered a -1/+2 520 kit

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
found a good spot for the bank angle sensor... there are a couple of horns on the stock fairing stay that are the identical spacing to the mounting holes on the sensor so i just drilled them out and tapped them

and there it is all nicely bolted in!

got rid of the heat shielding and tried to clean up the exhaust as much as possible

and yes, it's epically lame to keep the stock exhaust, however the tracks near me are all freaking out about sound limits so pretty much anything aftermarket will blow over limit

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And now the goodies are starting to trickle in... billet oil cap... it always pisses me off when the safety wire cuts through the plastic ones!

and what have we here? a box of billety goodness from battle factory! this was a great buy... i'm usually a woodcraft guy, but $400... damn! and so i was looking at the ebay ones from china which are like $150... quality unknown, although i haven't heard much bad... so i was undecided until i stumbled over the fact that battle factory made stuff for 600's! i thought they just did GP bikes.... and this set was an ebay find that split the difference price wise...

sooooo pretty!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
your going to regret not buying a good set of used vortex rearsets for $200 when you lay it over. those rearsets will bend or break right off..

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya? I've crashed battle factory stuff on previous bikes and it's always held up well... have you had bad experience with it? i wonder if you're thinking that because I got a steal deal on it that it's chinese knock off stuff.... battle factory rearsets are Japan built and usually retail for about $100-$150 more than Vortex.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
more goodies in the mail!
keyless gas cap...

and it's ALMOST round... hehe... but at about 1/6 the price of a real one (ie. Vortex) I can make do!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the tach was scuffed and cracked...

so i got a cheap case off ebay and swapped the guts over. the quality definitely wasn't oem, but it was decent. i ended up reusing the stock back, and i had to swap over the rubber selector button. looks better than a cracked one for sure!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
for stuff that comes on and off a lot, particularly at the track, like axles, i like to try and mark the torque spec on the bike... swing arm had a nice spot for the rear axle number

·
Registered
109 Posts
haha that was supposed to be my project for friday was to bleed the brakes but w/ all this snow and ice my kit/ fluid was still in the mail

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well this is a strange installation... label on the package is correct for my bike, but it seems like there's a bunch too much line... best routing so far has the left line going on top of the fairing stay, and the right line nearly touches the rad at right lock... i may fool around with it a bit more before i finalize...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Actually.. I might ask you for help first. I'm eliminating my ignition this week. Are you just using the kill switch as the ignition? Interested in which route you went.
Phil

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Phil,
I had intended to wire the ignition into the kill switch as I have done on other bikes in the past, but i was overcome with a sudden attack of laziness, so i've just ordered a generic kill switch that i'll mount on the left bar where turn signals etc. used to be and i'll plumb the ignition into that. so either kill switch will cut the motor, but only the left one will shut off the rest of the bike.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
man, is everyone as freaked out as me torquing those aluminum banjo bolts? pulled out my 1/4" wrench and dialled up 144 inch pounds (12 foot pounds) and it felt like they were gonna shear off like they were plastic... i guess it's in my head, but steel banjos wound up to 25 seems way less stressful!

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Yea I was a bit nervous when torquing my banjo's...felt like I had gone too far. Glad it wasn't just me that felt that way hahha

1 - 20 of 51 Posts