Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought my bike and tried to change out the left bulb because the seller said it was burnt out. I tried 2 different bulbs on the left side to no avail. I even tried plugging my working right side bulb into the left side but it didn't work either any suggestions? :frown2:
I couldn't find any other posts saying they have the same issue.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Recently bought my bike and tried to change out the left bulb because the seller said it was burnt out. I tried 2 different bulbs on the left side to no avail. I even tried plugging my working right side bulb into the left side but it didn't work either any suggestions? :frown2:
I couldn't find any other posts saying they have the same issue.
Is the left light the high beam? Only of of your lights should be on normally, and both on when the high beam is on.

Sent from my LG V20 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the left light the high beam? Only of of your lights should be on normally, and both on when the high beam is on.

The right side is my high beam. the left side should always be on but it doesn't do anything even when I turn high beams on and off.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The right side is my high beam. the left side should always be on but it doesn't do anything even when I turn high beams on and off.
I just know that confuses a lot of people, and my bike is half ripped apart in my garage right now lol. Have you checked fuses and wiring to make sure everything is in good condition?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just know that confuses a lot of people, and my bike is half ripped apart in my garage right now lol. Have you checked fuses and wiring to make sure everything is in good condition?

I took a look at the headlight fuse and it looked fine. I've only done a quick look at the wiring haven't yet taken everything off to check all connections. sorry to hear about your bike :p

·
Registered
195 Posts
If the fuse is fine then it is more than likely an issue with the start switch. Known issue with the 03-06's. Try this, start the bike and while it is running press the start button again slightly (not enough to engage the starter) and see if the lights come on. If not, pull the housing apart and check the soldered wires inside to see if they broke free.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,812 Posts
If the fuse is fine then it is more than likely an issue with the start switch. Known issue with the 03-06's. Try this, start the bike and while it is running press the start button again slightly (not enough to engage the starter) and see if the lights come on. If not, pull the housing apart and check the soldered wires inside to see if they broke free.
The start button will extinguish both lights. If the high beam works it's not the button

·
Registered
195 Posts
The start button will extinguish both lights. If the high beam works it's not the button

The start button will extinguish both lights when fully engaged (enough contact to activate the starter relay). A partial engagement will usually cause enough contact inside the switch to get the light going.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,812 Posts
he said his high beam works, and his low beam doesn''t.

it's not possible for a switch that controls both simultaneously to interrupt only one of them.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I misread the OP's initial post. I'm usually thumbing through these threads late at night while sitting on the can...my mistake. You also dont usually see it where the high beam side is the only one working and not just be a bad bulb as its power is being fed off the low side at the switch.

OP, if you have power to the high beam side (right) then check for 12 volts on the low side (left) where the wires come into the headlight socket. Power there means a poor connection in the socket or it's defective. If there is no power to the back side then trace the black/white wire back to the sub harness connector and recheck for voltage on both sides of the connector (sub harness side is black/white, main harness side is blue/white). I haven't had my plastics off in a while but it will be under one of the dash pieces.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I misread the OP's initial post. I'm usually thumbing through these threads late at night while sitting on the can...my mistake. You also dont usually see it where the high beam side is the only one working and not just be a bad bulb as its power is being fed off the low side at the switch.

OP, if you have power to the high beam side (right) then check for 12 volts on the low side (left) where the wires come into the headlight socket. Power there means a poor connection in the socket or it's defective. If there is no power to the back side then trace the black/white wire back to the sub harness connector and recheck for voltage on both sides of the connector (sub harness side is black/white, main harness side is blue/white). I haven't had my plastics off in a while but it will be under one of the dash pieces.
my multimeter is dead but i believe that it isn't getting enough power.

·
Registered
195 Posts
my multimeter is dead but i believe that it isn't getting enough power.
Why guess...? Harbor freight practically gives away their multimeters and they are more than sufficient for troubleshooting this. As stated above, the high beam is fed off the low beam side so if there is enough voltage to power that light then you either have a bad headlight socket or the wire running from the socket to the harness is bad.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts