Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, I've been riding a cruiser for a couple years and am looking to buy my first sport bike. I am a complete novice to these so I am hoping to solicit this forum's eminent knowledge.

I have my eye on a 2006 600RR with 42,xxx miles. It has a clean title and the seller says it has never been in an accident. He will sell to me for $3,400 and it has a few notable extras: a set of race fairings, two bros slip on, scotts performance damper, pazzo levers, and a extra set of tires. He will also give me the OEM pipes.

The seller only put 1k miles on the bike. He said he bought it a few months ago from a good friend of his who bought the bike new. I will be speaking to the friend about maintenance history.

Assuming its been maintained properly, is this a good deal? What should I ask and look for to make sure the 42k miles isn't and won't be an issue? The bike has been a track bike most of its life, that's where most of the miles come from. Is this bad or good? What are the implications of being tracked so much?

All advice is greatly appreciated. I really like this bike and its one of the few in my area I can afford but I also want to be smart about this purchase.

·
Registered
966 Posts
There is literally no way it has 42,000 track miles on it. 10,000 track miles is an amazing amount of miles at 15,000 RPM and full throttle, 42k doesn't happen. If it somehow has, its a ticking time bomb. I'd say hell no to that bike.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Wouldn't buy it to expensive imo.

3000 if he could prove theres been a valve adjust done.. receipt from a dealer with a VIN number etc. Word of mouth is not good enough

You got to do coolant, forks, shock, check bearings, chain spricket, plugs, etc..

·
Registered
862 Posts
At that mileage and price, especially with track history, I wouldn't touch it unless a solid maintenance history and records were provided that were reliable. Hell, even without track history that's too damn expensive. I don't know where you live but around the DMV area 3500 can get you similar year bike with less miles. It's also the peak of the riding season so keep that in mind when you shop around because the prices are generally steep.

As a side, anybody see the spiked fairing fasteners around the mid and windscreen?

·
Registered
966 Posts
At that mileage and price, especially with track history, I wouldn't touch it unless a solid maintenance history and records were provided that were reliable.
Wouldn't care myself, I have too many track and racers friends who buy new or low mileage used street bikes that don't make it past 6-7,000 track miles before the engine goes.

As a side, anybody see the spiked fairing fasteners around the mid and windscreen?
How would those make it pass tech? So many things that don't add up on this bike.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I had a 2011 cbr600rr for street only that I put 35k miles on. People cringed when they heard that and the only reason it sold was because it had a service agreement. In addition to that I bought a 2003 600rr shortly after that which had been a track bike for 80% of its life with 6k miles and that seemed like a lot to me for mostly track miles. All that to say a bike with that many miles and the possibility that they could be track miles is a huge gamble in my opinion and you might choose to look a little further in your search for a bike.
Good luck!

·
Registered
966 Posts
I had a 2011 cbr600rr for street only that I put 35k miles on. People cringed when they heard that and the only reason it sold was because it had a service agreement. !
Truth. I might [key word there] get $2k for my F4i with almost 80,000 miles on it, and thats with literally every receipt for every nut, bolt, quart of oil, lightbulb etc that's ever been put into it and ridiculous maintainence done to it and I'm the original owner who didn't even let the dealer do a test ride after assembly.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Truth. I might [key word there] get $2k for my F4i with almost 80,000 miles on it, and thats with literally every receipt for every nut, bolt, quart of oil, lightbulb etc that's ever been put into it and ridiculous maintainence done to it and I'm the original owner who didn't even let the dealer do a test ride after assembly.
:surprise::surprise:

80k?! Wow haha.. That is impressive!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts