Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

My bike was running just fine, I ran out of fuel and now she won't start. I'm pretty fed up... She's been at the mechanic for ten days now and he's also lost to ideas by now.

Fuel Pump is fine
Spark Plugs are fine
Electronics also fine

However the bike however still tries to start even with the kickstand down? Usually that never works.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Not trying to second guess you , but are you sure its the running out of petrol that stopped you and not maybe just a faulty sidestand switch, will it start with the clutch pulled in?

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,769 Posts
the sidestand switch only prevents starting when the bike is in gear. in neutral it has nothing to do with anything.

if the bike is cranking in gear then perhaps the sidestand switch has failed in the up position, but this would not cause the engine to stop, and certainly wouldn't prevent it from restarting.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I feel like there is something missing in the basic narrative above. Engines do not fail to start if you run them empty and refill them. I also question the ability of your mechanic at this point. To clarify: it cranks over but does not start up?

Only three things needed to make a petrol engine run: (1) spark, (2) fuel, (3) compression. All of these can be checked with minimal disassembly, and a repair shop should have spark testers, fuel pressure gauge and compression gauge.

Can you provide any additional details on what has been tested? (Fuel pressure, spark KV, cylinder compression)?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I feel like there is something missing in the basic narrative above. Engines do not fail to start if you run them empty and refill them. I also question the ability of your mechanic at this point. To clarify: it cranks over but does not start up?

Only three things needed to make a petrol engine run: (1) spark, (2) fuel, (3) compression. All of these can be checked with minimal disassembly, and a repair shop should have spark testers, fuel pressure gauge and compression gauge.

Can you provide any additional details on what has been tested? (Fuel pressure, spark KV, cylinder compression)?
Hi...

Thanks for responding. I took my bike away from the mechanic. I have since been told that the timing is out and we're replacing the CCT anyway now... If the timing is out could one of bent the valves?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not trying to second guess you , but are you sure its the running out of petrol that stopped you and not maybe just a faulty sidestand switch, will it start with the clutch pulled in?
I don't know anymore bro... I've been told on Friday by another mechanic that the timing is out on the bike guaranteed... So I am now worrying about bent valves and God knows what else. We'll have to wait and see.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts