Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had to make a challenging title to get you guys to chim in :retard: . Still doubt anyone could troubleshoot this.

EDIT: Videos added in posts 7 and 8

I spent the last 4 days researching on the .net about buzzing noises before making this thread b/c I tried all the solutions. Here are a few facts:

- Sounds like its coming from the front end - the cluster or triple tree

- Buzzing starts immediately upon hitting 5k rpm.

- It sounds like keys hitting the triple tree. Only problem is I only have one key in the ignition, the bike key.

- Its not the windscreen or the tank cover.

- The buzz is there when I rev the bike in idle as well as when Im riding.

- Its NOT temperature related. I always warm up the bike to operating temp before riding but in an attempt to experiment, I rode the bike cold and the noise was still there.

- I thought it would be a CCT but its coming from the front end, not the right side of the bike.

- NO impact on performance.

- When Im in 1st gear and riding at any rpm higher than 5k and let it drop down by itself, at the 5k rpm range I hear it. Its also evident downshifting from 2nd to 1st.

Lots of you may tell me not to worry about it but its driving me crazy and I know bikes make noises but this isnt a normal noise.

I'm tempted to say its the one key in the ignition making noise. I took apart the front and thoroughly inspected everything that could make noise and found nothing.

Any help?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Your right... Can't troubleshoot it. You win.....

/Thread

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
You have an after market wind sheild right? that is what is making the buzzing noise.. next time you hear it reach forward and press on the very front of the sheild near the third eye. how do you solve it? look at your stock wind sheild and I bet you see that there is a foam peice glued to the underside.. do the same thing on your aftermarket sheild and I bet the buzzing will go away..

I am supprised you didn't find an answer on .net cause I have answered this question about 6 times

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
why are you sure its not the windscreen? Many people have had this problem and thats what it was. If I were you, I would start taking pieces off until the noise went away. Then you know what it is! Start with mirrors, then screen, then fairing, etc. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have an after market wind sheild right? that is what is making the buzzing noise.. next time you hear it reach forward and press on the very front of the sheild near the third eye. how do you solve it? look at your stock wind sheild and I bet you see that there is a foam peice glued to the underside.. do the same thing on your aftermarket sheild and I bet the buzzing will go away..

I am supprised you didn't find an answer on .net cause I have answered this question about 6 times
I took it for a ride without the windscreen, the noise was still there.

why are you sure its not the windscreen? Many people have had this problem and thats what it was. If I were you, I would start taking pieces off until the noise went away. Then you know what it is! Start with mirrors, then screen, then fairing, etc. Good luck!
Above response.

The noise is coming from the ignition. It sounds like a bunch of keys are hitting the triple tree but I only have the bike key in the ignition. Its a rattle type noise.

I wouldnt have made the thread without checking the basics like mirrors, bar ends, windscreen etc. Trust me on this.

Like I said, its coming from the triple tree

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

here's a vid...camera phone doesnt pick up the sound all that well though. At 0:34 you could hear it better than the other times. I'll try taking a better vid.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it can be heard from 0:16-0:17 and from 0:23-0:27

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I can hear it. BUt another .net member (Metallica) rode the bike and heard the noise. So its there

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Check for loose nuts and bolts behind the wheel? Like header, radiator, etc? If nothing jumps out at you, you're going to have to take the fairing off until the noise goes away.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
put your hand on the key, there was a fix for the key rattling *goes to find post*

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
put your hand on the key, there was a fix for the key rattling *goes to find post*
ah yes I came across that thread, where the guy put little circular stickers on the ignition to keep the the key in place. But I held the key while riding and the rattling "keys hitting the triple tree" noise is still there :cursin:

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Check for loose nuts and bolts behind the wheel? Like header, radiator, etc? If nothing jumps out at you, you're going to have to take the fairing off until the noise goes away.
I recall dropping two nuts and 1 stud under the seat by the battery some time back. BUT, thats under the seat. This is a triple tree/ignition noise.

I did take all the fairings off too and ziptied everything I could...didnt work

Who thinks its an engine related noise? Everyone uses the term CCT loosely in these situations but I highly doubt that in my situation mainly bc the noise is isolated to the front of the bike.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
ah yes I came across that thread, where the guy put little circular stickers on the ignition to keep the the key in place. But I held the key while riding and the rattling "keys hitting the triple tree" noise is still there :cursin:
next common one ... the tank cover it self, right above the ECU (where the lil divet is in the top)

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
How smoth is the movement when you turn the handle bars? maybe some of your head bearings are warn , so they are loose and rattelling

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
Who thinks its an engine related noise? Everyone uses the term CCT loosely in these situations but I highly doubt that in my situation mainly bc the noise is isolated to the front of the bike.
easy way to find out since it does ti at idle...

mechanics stethoscope, or a really big screw driver held to the engine casings.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
next common one ... the tank cover it self, right above the ECU (where the lil divet is in the top)
tried that too. Held it down hard when riding, the indentation on the cover, and the noise is still there. If it went away then yea I would open it up and put foam underneath there as the remedy.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
tried that too. Held it down hard when riding, the indentation on the cover, and the noise is still there. If it went away then yea I would open it up and put foam underneath there as the remedy.
im not sure if its the tank cover it self, or the ecu under it, and the tank is just a good mounting location for the foam *shrug*

try riding with the tank cover off, so you can apply pressure to various exposed parts?

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
easy way to find out since it does ti at idle...

mechanics stethoscope, or a really big screw driver held to the engine casings.
really really doubt its an internal problem. It only has 6500 miles and gets a fresh amsoil oil change every 2k miles. Plus its never ridden hard.

If the problem was temperature related then I could see how its an engine problem but when the bike is cold and hot the problem is still there. Also, its coming from the front of the bike. I would imagine an engine noise would come from the right side of the bike.

I think I'll just accept it as normal. Bike pulls amazing otherwise.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts