Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience in swapping out motors? I just cracked mine really bad at an oil gally and just wanna get a new motor and have it swapped out and be done with it. The local dealer quoted me $375 for the swap out including new plugs, oil, and coolant which does't mean squat to me cause I'm just going to drain the oil and coolant and put my prefered kind in.

Anyway, Is this a job that I can do on my own? I have a manual but I don't know if it's the awsome one that I need for a job like this. It's 588 pages and is pretty in depth. Do I need any special tools for this job? If so what do I need? I stripped my bike down to the swing arm, frame and motor after my crash and everythings just about put back together. I dremmeled my cracks and flilled them with JB Weld but my case covers ended up leaking. I took the case covers off and re-sealed them but then had a problem with my 6mm nuts not torqing. They just kept rotating. It was a wierd feeling. Not stripped but not torquing. At that point I said "This is enough". So i'm installing a new motor.

Please help.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Special tools... Jut the locknut wrenches for the castle nuts. I've made one from a piece of pipe and a grinder.

$375. sounds quite a bit steep. If you're just swingarm, engine and frame. With the right tools, it should only take an hour. I'm assuming that you don't have the locknut tools. I'd take it the the shop and tell you'll give them $100. to change the motor only. Screw the oil and everything. If you can take your bike apart down to the motor and frame, you know can handle the oil and everything. If they say no, call another shop.

Oh new plugs are like $75 though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts