Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just got back from a Track Day on my '08 and found a fine spray of what apears to be oil inside the Right Cowling. A friend of mine said his '07 did this from time to time and he just cleaned it up and didn't worry about it... but I'm not as easy going as him so I'm hoping to find the cause.

I've checked all the crankcase and clutch cover bolts are torqued down to spec. There is no obvious source but there is a large plug with a hex head that I suspect may be some sort of relief valve... I can't believe a bike with 650 km's (400 ml's) on it would have any oil leaks but this has obviously built up over the past 300 km's (200 ml's) since that cowling was last off.

Anyone out there know bout this... what the cause is.... and what the solution is????

Thanks

·
Registered
242 Posts
Can't help you with a source of where the oil is coming from, but there should be no leakage of oil anywhere from within the engine.

The unit you are referring to with the hex nut (to the right of the oil filter) is your oil cooler.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
07/08 oil film???

Thanks for the replies however everything is all tight as it should be... it really is a mystery. And, I am well aware of the what the oil cooler and all other components are. The place I think it may be seeping from is like a plug in the lower crankcase. This plug is not even listed in the parts or service manual for some reason so I suspect it is inserted at the time of manufacture and not something that ever should need removing or maintaining.

A friend had the same issue with his '07. He said he wiped it out every so often and over time it just built up again... but for no apparent reason. That is why I suspect it has to be related to a vent or something.

Anyone else got any ideas?

Image of the plug I am referring to is shown.

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
I think I saw a picture of this "plug" in my service manual, if it the one located by the oil filter. There is no explanation as to what it is. It almost seems like its a receptacle for an oil line fitting or something, my guess.

It does look like a fitting to drain the block though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Believe me my bike is spotless everywhere usually... I've looked everywhere in the vicinity and there is no logical explanation other than it has come from somewhere else. All bolts are tight with no apparent seapage, the oil filter is clean, just this film on the inside of the cowling.

Anyway, it's clean again now so I'll see if it reoccurs...

·
Registered
205 Posts
ummmmm, yeah . . .

I hope you don't take it back on the track until you figure out the problem. I'd hate to be behind you on the track.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts