Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if its like the 03-06 i might as well get it haha i was wondering if i shoulld wait for an 09 or buy one now. i had an 2007 white 600rr but i was rear ended by a car and my bike was totaled i liked the bike too. but i want to know if they are going to hold the same body style for another 2 years sorry only been riding for a year so dont know too much about this stuff

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
hmm

its about that time of the year where features of the new bike are brought open to the public but I havent heard a thing. I have a strong feeling it will like the 03-04 v. the 05-06 and the real change would come in 2010.

I was thinking of selling my 06 for a new rr but it just doesnt seem worth it right now...i'll see what 2009 brings though

·
Registered
1,671 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had the same dilemma, my reasoning...
1. I really can't wait that long
2. Waldo-7 is right! How much better is it going to get? If there is some significant change or something quite new like ABS, I'll wait till they iron out the kinks.
3. Who knows what the new price may be for next years model
4. Plenty of mods to personalise your ride for the 07/08 NOW!
5. Did I mention that next year is too far away to be waiting?
6. As for a slipper clutch, you can always get yourself a hot aftermarket one

Either way, you can't go wrong with this bike

·
Registered
34 Posts
Here's something about the Honda design I wasn't aware of... by chance I came across it today:

"Honda didn't fit a back-torque limiting clutch, preferring, as is so often Honda's way, to do things differently. With conventional bikes, changing down a few gears as you brake for a corner when letting out the clutch results in a momentary locked back wheel as it tries to speed up the engine. A BTL clutch actually slips when this force - coming from the opposite direction to normal - is applied, allowing the wheel to turn, improving stability as you tip the bike into a corner. Honda has chosen instead to feed air into the cylinder, allowing the piston to fall faster, preventing the wheel from locking up. It worked fine for me – I never even felt like the tyre wanted to lock up, no matter how hard I charged into the slow corners."

Taken from Australian 'Cycle Torque' magazine review.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Here's something about the Honda design I wasn't aware of... by chance I came across it today:

"Honda didn't fit a back-torque limiting clutch, preferring, as is so often Honda's way, to do things differently. With conventional bikes, changing down a few gears as you brake for a corner when letting out the clutch results in a momentary locked back wheel as it tries to speed up the engine. A BTL clutch actually slips when this force - coming from the opposite direction to normal - is applied, allowing the wheel to turn, improving stability as you tip the bike into a corner. Honda has chosen instead to feed air into the cylinder, allowing the piston to fall faster, preventing the wheel from locking up. It worked fine for me – I never even felt like the tyre wanted to lock up, no matter how hard I charged into the slow corners."

Taken from Australian 'Cycle Torque' magazine review.
While that valve (and the name escapes me) does allow for a little more revs while downshifting, it is not like a slipper clutch. If the guy never slid the rear a little bit while shifting he is either a super super smooth rider or isn't being aggressive enough with shifting/braking.

As far as your question, I would wait, and here's why:

When the 09 comes out, if it really is a badass bike, and even if not, the 07-08 will get cheaper. People will always want the next best thing, and you should be able to get a used one for quite the deal. Plus, riding season is coming to an end (already :sad11:)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Go for an 07/08, besides a slipper I think it is pretty close to perfect

·
Registered
796 Posts
I wouldn't expect a slipper clutch. If anything I'd expect different color schemes and/or minor cosmetic changes.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
While that valve (and the name escapes me) does allow for a little more revs while downshifting, it is not like a slipper clutch.
Pretty sure it's the IACV - Idle Air Control Valve

·
Registered
504 Posts
For whatever it's worth: been waiting for the 09 (since I crashed my 07 =*( ) and spoke to my local dealer guy who happens to come into my restaurant frequently. He said some dude who works for Honda that comes by the shop said the new 09 600s will look like the 08 1000s.

Frankly, I find that a bit hard to believe....but who knows.

·
Registered
34 Posts
May look like the 1000RR? Hope not! Undertail exhaust and minimal fairings are big points from me.
Like someone said in another thread, there'll always be a better bike. If you don't have one, get one. If you already have a bike and this will be your second, wait & see.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts