Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I am very tempted to sell my 07 600RR in the spring and sport a 848. The 600RR was bike of the year to many magazines and was MCN's sport bike of the year as well.

Other than the switch in brand, is this a good move?
Will the performance be noticeable, will the 848 handle as well..

thoughts?

·
Registered
460 Posts
I was all set to buy a 08 CBR600RR, but then I saw the 848's. They sure do look nice. I'm not providing any insight, but I guess I have the same problem as you.

·
Overpaid South Pacific Barista overactive ADHD c
27,367 Posts
Okay so I am very tempted to sell my 07 600RR in the spring and sport a 848. The 600RR was bike of the year to many magazines and was MCN's sport bike of the year as well.

Other than the switch in brand, is this a good move?
Will the performance be noticeable, will the 848 handle as well..

thoughts?
with a little turning and tweaking the 848 will handle just as well as the honda but as for performance , i think the 600 will still have the edge!!

·
Registered
744 Posts
I too think the 600rr would have the edge. I'm not sure about how close the 848 would get to it in terms of handling though. That 600rr is the sharpest sports bike out there right now, really. You said it yourself. Every reputable source says so too!!

The 848 looks nice, but is it worth the higher servicing/insurance costs? Don't get me wrong, I think the Duc looks amazing. I guess I'm just too in love with my '07 CBR to consider anything else!

·
Overpaid South Pacific Barista overactive ADHD c
27,367 Posts
dukes always are a dream to ride , they just are but they are so off pace until the get to the R model!!!

the engine is down on power and the suspension needs tweeking!!

·
Registered
869 Posts
All I have to say is: 369 pounds...168 Kg

Power* 134hp - 98.5kw @ 10000rpm Torque* 70.8lb-ft 96Nm @ 8250rpm
Impressive even at the crank. I think this bike would have absolutely 0 problems in keeping up with a 600rr in the twisties.

If I could afford one...pretty good chances on would be in my garage.

·
Registered
415 Posts
i think the ergos arn't that great for riding around town. and with the 1098 they had a lot of idel problems where you would come to a stoplight and it would die and some wouldn't start back up.

plus the mantaince would be costly. those damn desmo valves are hard to adjust. also in a magazine i picked up not too long ago the 600rr was really close to the 1098s on the track.

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
From the videos and "first rides" that I've read, it seems like the 848 is typical Ducati. Easily a great handling bike that will need the attention of the rider to make the right adjustments to the suspension to unearth the corner-carver that it is. Of course, ergonomically, it's more aggressive than the 600RR, but what is being said is that the 848 really flows and dances through corners, attacking them with great astuteness.

Performance-wise, I hear that the 848 is going to be similar in horsepower to the current offerings of 4-cylinders, but obviously, based on configuration, it's going to have a different characteristic. It's a twin and has 849cc's of displacement. It won't be a screamer and will probably have enough low-end torque for you to bog it in a corner and still be able to recover it. That being said, it'll probably not be as colorful at full wail like a high-strung 4 cylinder, like an R6, 6R or RR.

Hands down, the 848 is a beautiful bike. Well worth purchasing because of looks alone. But the 848 will also be a theft magnet in my opinion. You'll look great at the local Starbucks, but you better keep an eye on it, or you may be walking home. Due to the relatively comparable price, since I already have an older RR, it wouldn't be much hesitation to make the decision.

It would be the 848 (as a street bike, with the RR going full track).

In summary:
- I love to rail inline-4's on the track, but over 700cc's of displacement has its benefits (and I absolutely love twins). In this case, I'd pick the 4-cylinder because I love railing it. And the 4-cylinder will likely have more horsepower.
- Handling, I think I'd go with the RR because it's so great right out of the box. Componentry will be the same until they release the 848R, which will likely have Brembo/Ohlin goodness at a hefty price. So, again, I'd pick the RR.
- Looks. Hands down, the 848 is without question the looker.
- Reliability and Cost to own. This obviously goes to anything Japanese, but Ducati with the 848 and 1098 have made these bikes more price accessible so they dumbed down the componentry and made a lot of cost-cutting moves. I imagine they'd be comparable in cost to own, but Ducati shops won't treat it like that. RR wins here.

Tally: 3-1 RR as the safest bet.

But when do you ever by a motorcycle because it's logical?

·
Macedonian Racer
1,345 Posts
Just remember dude that this is a DUCATI! Sure it's beautiful, sexy... Heck even I want one! :icon_lol: But when I think about those service days I just want to back off due to the very expensive parts... In my country the bike will retail (unofficially) for 14.500 Euros! Thats the price of a proper 1000cc bike! (any bike!) :icon_lol: So when I thought through I said to myself NO, in 2009 you'll buy yourself a Fireblade! :icon_lol:

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
It's soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo purdy...

·
Simmonds steak Do not leave the kitchen without it
14,811 Posts
+10000000 at being soooooo purdy. I saw it at the show about a week ago and got the chance to swing my legs around her. I was up for debate between the 2008 1000rr and the 2008 848, but now it looks as if im going to be a future Ducati rider... but dont worry, i'm planing on getting another 600 and turning it into a track monster.

·
Registered
393 Posts
reliability of the 1098 has been suspect... and i know the 748/749's were not so great either... if u can afford one and dont ride a ton of miles i say go for it!

K

·
0 Posts
if the 999 can out pull a 600RR, and the 848 can out pull a 999... then there you go.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
there is a thread going on at 1000rr.net right now about all the problems that the 1098 is having. makes me very glad i didnt get a duc. i was sitting on a black 999 back in 06 and backed out because of all the maintenance costs.
supposedly the 1098 is breaking all over the place. bad ecus, gas lines vibrating and snapping at the metal joints, lots of blow by things like that.
http://www.1000rr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41216
i doubt the smaller one will be much different.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Well as the owner of a 748, and having ridden & owned a lot of Ducs...
If it handles similar the 1098, and it should, Turn-in will require a bit more effort than the 600rr, but it will be more stable and hold it's line better. Also it probably won't flick side to side as quickly as the 600rr. The quality of stock suspension is better than the stock suspension on 600rr, but the spring rates will most likely be wrong for most everyone.
Enginewise it's a whole different ballgame, and hard really explain the difference. But if you've ridden a ducati twin you'll just know.

Overall the 848 should be easier to ride fast for the average rider, but harder to ride at a full race pace than the 600rr.

The only relibilaty issues that I've personally seen are when the owners don't ride the bike, they just look at them in the garage. Ducati's with higher miles that are actually ridden are usually problem free. The only issue I've encountered on my 98' 748 was the flaking rocker issue, which all 4V Ducati's from 96 to the 00 have.
If you want the real info on what's happening with the 1098 issues - Yes they're having a few - check the popular Ducati forums
Ducati.ms
http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/ducati-message-boards/

Cost of matainence & service intervals are still an issue, but they're much better than they use to be and getting better. But it's not a Honda.

I'll be waiting until the 848 "S" comes out and might swap my 748 out for one.

·
Registered
178 Posts
In summary:
- I love to rail inline-4's on the track, but over 700cc's of displacement has its benefits (and I absolutely love twins). In this case, I'd pick the 4-cylinder because I love railing it. And the 4-cylinder will likely have more horsepower.
- Handling, I think I'd go with the RR because it's so great right out of the box. Componentry will be the same until they release the 848R, which will likely have Brembo/Ohlin goodness at a hefty price. So, again, I'd pick the RR.
- Looks. Hands down, the 848 is without question the looker.
- Reliability and Cost to own. This obviously goes to anything Japanese, but Ducati with the 848 and 1098 have made these bikes more price accessible so they dumbed down the componentry and made a lot of cost-cutting moves. I imagine they'd be comparable in cost to own, but Ducati shops won't treat it like that. RR wins here.

Tally: 3-1 RR as the safest bet.

But when do you ever by a motorcycle because it's logical?
railing inline 4's ftw!
and i was comtemplating about getting the 848, i asked my gf which looked better in the 07' thread with the 1098 and 600rr by each other's side
and she said the 600rr looked better and i was like WHAATT... she didn't like how the 1098 had like the more "full" mid/lower fairings
so i thought she was the only girl and apparently my other girl friends said they like the 600rr and so did one of my buddys.... i was stunned haha
i still think the 848 is nicer though......

·
Not right now chief, im in the f'ing zone
4,495 Posts
That 848 is hot sh*t man, what a beautiful bike. I would still never get rid of my inline 4. So reliable, and parts are redily available. If i ever got a twin, i would first get the RC51. Call me oldschool, but that cow is a Classic. With me being 21 year old college student, buying a ducati would be completely impractical. Parts are uber expensive along with the mainenance. Id stick with the RR.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts