Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 07 Honda CBR that started up perfectly fine several times before buying. Upon returning home bike wouldnt turn on. Just rapid clicking from relay starter. Searched around the forum and found probable issues and had the battery charged. Replaced the fuses(knowing the battery would start the bike and if it had a short they would give again and prevent the bike from starting again) sure enough charged battery bike started up and after few minutes gauge cluster went out. Turned off the bike and it wouldnt turn back on. Checked the fuses and the headlight, clock, and meter illumi were blown. So now I need to get my "new" bike to be rewired or to find those shorts. Hopefully nothing else is wrong... How hard would it be to do this all myself? Anyone ever do this themselves? How much did it cost? Thanks

·
Registered
190 Posts
wow... thats B******T! sorry to hear that!

D

·
0 Posts
There will be a short on the white/black wire in the tail/headlight circuit. First places to check will be the connector for the tail light, the 3rd eye light, and the turn signal/horn cluster.

I don't have an ETM in front of me, but if you see no obvious issues in the wires at the connecting areas and visible areas, you can always disconnect one of the clusters at a time to see if there is an internal issue with any of them. If you have an aftermarket tail light, that would be the first place I'd look. It wont be too difficult to find the cause of the problem since those circuits only share one common wire.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Check for exposed/pinched wires anywhere. You can systematically go through the system with a voltage meter to try and find a short, but you could find nothing and still have a problem :(

It wouldn't be easy to re-wire the whole bike yourself, even with a great deal of electronics experience. You can disconnect things also to see when the problem stops, so you'll be able to isolate it and replace/re-wire only one thing.

Since it's clicking and the cluster is going out that really sounds like a dying battery. Have that battery tested if you haven't already. Places like autozone will test it for free.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Check for exposed/pinched wires anywhere. You can systematically go through the system with a voltage meter to try and find a short, but you could find nothing and still have a problem :(

It wouldn't be easy to re-wire the whole bike yourself, even with a great deal of electronics experience. You can disconnect things also to see when the problem stops, so you'll be able to isolate it and replace/re-wire only one thing.

Since it's clicking and the cluster is going out that really sounds like a dying battery. Have that battery tested if you haven't already. Places like autozone will test it for free.
I did have the battery tested, Autozone says that it is fine. They charged it last night. So I believe theres a short thats screwing with my battery and blowing fuses. Just have to find it. Or deal with the $60/hr rate a repair shop is going to charge. I am sure I will end up having to just bite it on this one.

Edit: I am no electrician so please excuse my ignorance but a bad battery should not cause fuses to blow correct?

D

·
0 Posts
No, a bat battery will not cause a fuse to blow. Just check the white/black white like stated above. You'll find an issue in it somewhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts