Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i did search for my problem came up empty so here it goes. Its kind of long so please skip to the bottom 2 paragraphs for the main question. Sorry

Some back story. I have had the bike 5 years. Still on stock battery. Never had it hooked up to trickle charger so it has run dead many times over the various winters from the cold.

Last season I couldn't start it no matter how many times i started it. Turned out the gas was old, so we siphoned it out and the thing started up after a few tries with fresh gas and a fully charged battery.

Fast forward to today. Battery seems to hold a charge though not great. It died on me at work today. I grabbed the trickle charger from home and it wouldn't start.

Charged it again and it started this time. But after about 10-30 seconds it just died from idle. Last time this happens it was because of the gas. But I just put a fresh tank in 3 days ago.

After starting it 3 times and having it die shortly after idle for a while (didn't even have time to put on gear before it died) i just pinned the throttle to keep the thing alive long enough for me to ride away. And sure enough didn't have a problem at lights or anything else.

So finally my question. It the bike will start even with a battery I'm sure isn't fully holding a charge then why is it dying after the bikes already running? Once its on shouldn't the battery play no role in the bike at all?

I want to fix this tomorrow. Do I need to go buy a new battery or is there something else wrong with the bike that needs replacing? I don't wanna blow my money on a battery if thats not the issue.

any help is appreciated. thanks

·
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*
23,598 Posts
Hmm, hard to pin point since you neglected the battery as well. I would replace the battery with a new one and see if that cures the problem. For the future, if you're not going to start the bike up for a while pull the battery out and put it on a charger. The OEM will last a long time with good maintenance but repeated on/off will only shorten it's life.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just as an FYI, when you drain the battery and charge it, it's called a deep cycle. Car/motorcycle batteries aren't meant to be deep cycled unless specified (like car audio batteries or Optima yellow tops).

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Leaving it sitting at idle isn't going to put any charge into the battery, you need to get the revs up for that to happen.

Get a new battery and you will be fine...

And when it comes round to winter again, disconnect your battery. It's going to last a lot lot longer if it's disconnected, then just charge it again before you try using it... also avoid storing it in places that could get down to freezing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts