Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi peeps,
I’m hoping one of you may have come across this issue and may be able to assist.
I will start with bikes overview and work my way to the fault in the shortest method possible.

Bike: 2007 Honda CBR600RR
Mileage: ~80,000 miles
Recent Services: Oil, Chain, Clutch, Valves, Filter Cleaning, Throttle Cable replace (Due to at-fault tear).
Known Missing Part: My bike, during one of my service, I lost 3 of 4 Injector Seal Rings that are above the airbox. I will be replacing these this weekend but they’ve been missing for over 2,000 miles now and this issue occurred yesterday.

Issues/Fault:
So, my bike was running perfectly fine. Although more recent, in the morning it has a rough time keeping the idle at a higher level to assist with warming up, but this isn’t the issue I’m encountering. The issue was noticed on my way from work when the bike would have a momentarily stall out during acceleration. So during acceleration and low rev RPM’s the bike would have a 1 second cut off/cough. The bike is running, the cut off is too short to notice if the engine is shutting off or if it’s just slipping out of gear. It seemed to be what feels like a slipping clutch, but the clutch is 2,000 miles new.

So to put it in short, this is occurring under HEAVY loads on the throttle, the bike coughs or possible even cuts off for approximately a second and picks back up.

I hope this is detailed enough to help some of you with giving me possible diagnostics based on this. No fault codes trigger and nothing on the gauge changes during this occurrence.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well at first it sounded like an issue with Air/fuel mixture and the signals being sent to the bikes computer. Which would sort of explain the difficulty idling. but you also mentioned another issues which was under heavy load on the motor it would cut out. What are the most recent things that have been done to the bike recently?

1. Have you replaced the missing seals?

2. Did you check the clutch?

If the bike was working fine before these services were completed, then I would start there and see if there is an issue, if not then move on to the next item. There are a crap ton of other threads that are similar to yours. They mention possible Intake Air Temp sensor issues, dirty air filters, bad wires, etc. you have to track down the gremlins one step at a time. Good luck and God Speed.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Jericho,

Thanks for your response. This issue appears to have happened out of random. Although the clutch was replaced 2000 miles prior to this issue, and the injector sealers missing 1,000 miles ago the issue wasn't present until last night. I ordered the Injector seals but haven't yet replaced them. Plans to do so by this weekend.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I rode all night last night and not a single stall-out. It ran perfect. I want to say, possible bad fuel?

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
maybe?

where do you buy your gas? (i buy from the same station 95% of the time).

I buy gas from good clean (Shell) stations...particularly when i am out of my local area.

may i suggest some fuel/injector cleaner?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It stopped for a while but now I notice anything about 11k the bike has trouble increasing on RPM. Pretty much it treats 11k like redline. 4k too early.

I plan on running injector cleaners. Could this be even a possibility?

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Injector cleaner may help, but if they are truly dirty a professional cleaning will be the best way to get them really clean.

Honestly, I'm thinking fuel pump (and fuel filter). All the symptoms are there so I'd grab my service manual and do the flow test to see for sure but it sounds like that's the issue.

On a bike with 80k, I'd say it's a pretty good bet it's got some wear on it especially if the bike is ridden with under a quarter tank luel level often.

Mike

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
Don't bother with injector cleaner, it's just snake oil. If you want your injectors cleaned, arrange to have them done professionally instead of with some silly additive.

My guess is that your fuel pump is on it's way out.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hm. I didn't even consider a faulty fuel pump. Now I saw some of you mentioned that I should do a fuel flow test. I take that this allow me to find out if the fuel pump is truly defective before replacing the parts, correct?

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
Nope. Flow test doesn't happen at pressure.

They will quite regularly pass the flow and pressure tests but still be faulty.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Gotta say it sounds like what I had after I got my brothers bike that sat for 4+ years. Check fuel pump fuel filter and make sure u don't have rust in your tank. Also if you have a power commander on the bike. Get it tuned. That's what cause my bike to do that to me. Good luck. Keep us informed.

·
BOTM Winner 05/15
9,996 Posts
Last year, my bike with 75K+ miles had the same issue at the track. Would pull fine until 11K RPM, then felt like an anchor was tossed out the back and wouldn't increase RPM. Swapped out the fuel pump, and ran like normal.

Not sure on the 07+, but on the 03-06 you can remove the mesh screen, clean it, and reattach it to see if it improves things.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Last year, my bike with 75K+ miles had the same issue at the track. Would pull fine until 11K RPM, then felt like an anchor was tossed out the back and wouldn't increase RPM. Swapped out the fuel pump, and ran like normal.

Not sure on the 07+, but on the 03-06 you can remove the mesh screen, clean it, and reattach it to see if it improves things.

Yep I replaced it with a new/used fuel pump, replaced the ECM (temporary) and the problem was still occurring. With the new ECM, it didn't do it for a while but then it started right towards the end of my testing. I'm running out of ideas as to what this could be.

I've even ran SeaFoam to make sure everything running clean and smooth. Any more suggestions guys?

I find it hard to believe that I could have two defective fuel pumps. My OEM tank is dented due to a ventilation issue, but the dents have been there for 50k+ miles and no issues since.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
I missed it; When did you replace your coil packs?

·
Registered
3,968 Posts

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Another thing that comes to mind for your idling issue is all the following: Throttle Bodies w/ IACV (distribution hose leaks?), IAT, MAP sensors.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
I feel these would trigger the FI light, if you disagree, please let me know :)
The service manual implies its hit/miss as to whether it would trigger the Fi light and they say the IACV could use inspection/cleaning. Also; a tiny leak in the distribution hoses would cause poor idling but not trigger the Fi light.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts