Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Back story : was riding shifted into 1st gear and bike cuts off

symtom : lights work, horn works, turn bike on the fuel pump primes, hear the bike cranking strong but it won’t turn over

I’ve tried the following to get it to work

1) new battery ( 13v measured with volt meter , been on trinkler since for troubleshooting )
2) bypassed BAS sensor
3) verified kickstand sensor ( bypassed by unplugging it and also tested continuity with 20ohm test for 1/0 )
4) replaced all spark plugs
5) replace all coilpacks
6) got a new ECM

PUt a multimeter on the coil pack wires did not get 12 volts

so I’m not getting spark but why, it does sound like there is a little compression when it is trying to turn over

·
Registered
591 Posts
What do you mean by 'hear the bike trying to turn over'?

Is your starter relay clicking? If yes, your battery is too weak.

A bike that stalls and won't run with the clutch out is usually the kickstand sensor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mean the bike cranks but won’t turn over, I do not hear the starter relay and voltage across the battery is 13v also I unplugged the kickstand sensor to bypass it and also ran a continuity test using 20ohms on the sensor and it does switch from 0/1

note it is constantly on a trinkler while I am trying to figure this out

What do you mean by 'hear the bike trying to turn over'?

Is your starter relay clicking? If yes, your battery is too weak.

A bike that stalls and won't run with the clutch out is usually the kickstand sensor.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Sound like a kickstand switch. I see you checked for voltage at the wires but did you short them together to see if it starts? Also, does it make a difference if you pull in the clutch to try and start it? You may have a clutch switch issue and could be as simple as the spade connector slipped off.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sound like a kickstand switch. I see you checked for voltage at the wires but did you short them together to see if it starts? Also, does it make a difference if you pull in the clutch to try and start it? You may have a clutch switch issue and could be as simple as the spade connector slipped off.
Yes please see 3) i unplugged it to short it , I also check for continuity by using 20 ohms and it changes from 0/1 when it’s down or up . It’s in neutral and I do pull in the lever when I try to start it

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yes please see 3) i unplugged it to short it , I also check for continuity by using 20 ohms and it changes from 0/1 when it’s down or up . It’s in neutral and I do pull in the lever when I try to start it
Gotcha. It's a weird sequence of events and I'm assuming no weird or intermittent issues before. On your left handle bar you have a clutch switch mounted on the bottom side. Are both of the spade connectors still attached and is retractable plunger being pressed?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gotcha. It's a weird sequence of events and I'm assuming no weird or intermittent issues before. On your left handle bar you have a clutch switch mounted on the bottom side. Are both of the spade connectors still attached and is retractable plunger being pressed?

View attachment 225943
Yes i was riding this bike for a year in mint condition , yes they are still connected , i was trying to pull that off but wasnt able to ill check the plunger though

·
Registered
9 Posts
Seriously ?! I’ll unbolt my exhaust and see what happens
Yep it was the last thing checked after going through everything mentioned above plus some. Last thing my husband decide to check was Cat. Replaced with mid pipes and runs like a completely different bike. I also asked him to wrap pipe. He didn't want to because he thought it would look ridiculous but it looks good but it also helps keep in the heat. After a long ride I don't feel any heat on my calves like on my bike and others. Helps when your in Texas heat. 😀

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yep it was the last thing checked after going through everything mentioned above plus some. Last thing my husband decide to check was Cat. Replaced with mid pipes and runs like a completely different bike. I also asked him to wrap pipe. He didn't want to because he thought it would look ridiculous but it looks good but it also helps keep in the heat. After a long ride I don't feel any heat on my calves like on my bike and others. Helps when your in Texas heat. 😀
So was the issue with the cat that it was blocked up with gunk or did it actually melt? I would think you would notice a problem getting progressively worse if the exhaust is being blocked.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why would this switch matter if im in neutral to try to start it, you don’t need it right ?
Neutral light is on
Yes i was riding this bike for a year in mint condition , yes they are still connected , i was trying to pull that off but wasnt able to ill check the plunger though

View attachment 225943

·
Registered
9 Posts
So was the issue with the cat that it was blocked up with gunk or did it actually melt? I would think you would notice a problem getting progressively worse if the exhaust is being blocked.
I don't ride it for long periods of time. When I did for the first time it started feeling bogged down. Then I was having problems on this trip in first gear wear it would die. I have to keep RPM high in order for it not to. I then pulled over could start in first gear put it in first and it would die. My husband had to come get me and decided to ride it home. He is a bit crazy flip flips and shorts. He had to keep RPM high and avoid stopping. Cat was glowing when he made it home. He replaced tail pipe not to long back. No indication it was cat even though it was glowing their could be several reasons even though some disagree with that. I'm not sure what the pipe looked like when he replaced it. I will ask him and let you know.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hrm I don’t think that’s my problem . Mine would idle fine , it just cut off when I downshifted to 1st from 2nd and hasn’t started back up since . 0 issues before

I don't ride it for long periods of time. When I did for the first time it started feeling bogged down. Then I was having problems on this trip in first gear wear it would die. I have to keep RPM high in order for it not to. I then pulled over could start in first gear put it in first and it would die. My husband had to come get me and decided to ride it home. He is a bit crazy flip flips and shorts. He had to keep RPM high and avoid stopping. Cat was glowing when he made it home. He replaced tail pipe not to long back. No indication it was cat even though it was glowing their could be several reasons even though some disagree with that. I'm not sure what the pipe looked like when he replaced it. I will ask him and let you know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I put lap top on my cbr and if the bike is flashing a code 34, thats EGCV/Servo motor
That the exhaust flap in header just In front of cat has two cables running to it. Take cover off and inspect it to see that it is moving when turn ignition on . If it is closed or not working may have to much back pressure to start reset ecm and try starting. Most people on here remove the flap. Disconnecting batt may work
Ecm reset
the red plug under seat
Remove plug cap
Short green and brown
Turn ignition on let fuel pump prime
remove short
As soon as mil light goes solid put short back in turn off ignition
Pull short wire replace red plug cap and try to start again

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I put lap top on my cbr and if the bike is flashing a code 34, thats EGCV/Servo motor
That the exhaust flap in header just In front of cat has two cables running to it. Take cover off and inspect it to see that it is moving when turn ignition on . If it is closed or not working may have to much back pressure to start reset ecm and try starting. Most people on here remove the flap. Disconnecting batt may work
Ecm reset
the red plug under seat
Remove plug cap
Short green and brown
Turn ignition on let fuel pump prime
remove short
As soon as mil light goes solid put short back in turn off ignition
Pull short wire replace red plug cap and try to start again
Which way is open and I tried todoECU reset nothing happens .When does this flap clos/open it didn’t look like it moved at all

·
Registered
5 Posts
I removed header cut pipe removed the valve welded back together. But if you do not have means to do that then you can remove cables completely from valve and servo leave servo in place to keep ecm happy or get servo delete plug then wire the exhaust valve open so that pointer lines up to the pointer on the housing

1 - 20 of 29 Posts