Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

101 - 120 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for the excellent post! Does anyone know if the process differs on an 09? I plan on doing this soon.
Lastly, when changing my air filter I took the rad cap off to look at my coolant and noticed a bunch of tiny metallic looking particles which seemed top disappear when rubbed between my fingers. Is this normal for factory coolant? :confused:

Sent from my HTC Desire

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thanks, I couldn't find the drain bolt.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The 07 RR is just a bit different than the 05-06 in the previously written guide (http://cbrworld.net/forums/thread/248112.aspx). So when I flushed mine, I took some pictures for those who are unsure where everything is located like I was.

Hope this helps the 07 owners and please let me know if there are mistakes in these directions.

1. Take off the bottom fairing.

2. Take off right side mid and upper fairing to expose the radiator cap.

3. Undo the 10mm bolt, pop the lid and dump the coolant out of the reserve bottle.

4. The water pump is on the left side near the gear lever. Look for the shiny aluminum pipe.

5. The water pump drain bolt (10mm) is near where the aluminum pipe goes into the water pump.

6. Before doing the next steps, exercise caution if the bike is still hot. You can get burned by the steam and/or hot coolant, so best if you wait until bike has cooled off.

7. Undo the drain bolt. Some coolant will drip out. Place a pan under there before proceeding.

8. Remove the radiator cap. When you remove the radiator cap, coolant will pour out of the drain bolt at the bottom. Wait until it stops draining.

9. Replace and tighten the drain bolt.

10. At the radiator cap opening, fill system with distilled water. Close radiator cap.

11. Run the bike to operating temp so the water pump circulates the distilled water.

12. Turn off bike and wait for it to cool.

13. Repeat steps 6-12 a couple times until whats coming out is clear distilled water.

14. Once clear, tighten the drain bolt back up for good per torque specs.

15. Then fill system with your favorite coolant or distilled water+Wetter.

16. With radiator cap still off, start the bike and watch the coolant get sucked down into the pump and radiator. Add more coolant to fill it up again. Blip throttle 3-4 times to burp the air out of the system. Add more coolant if needed. Replace and tighten the radiator cap.

17. Fill reserve bottle with coolant to the lower mark.

18. Replace your fairings.

19. Done!
Great guide. Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
nice write up...:shakehand

did the same thing to my 2007 hornet(600rr 2007 engine) the minute a bought it new,since it was a 2007 stock...

i also modified the thermostat while at it cause the bloody thing boiled in traffic...100-106c and i think your rr's behave the same...

i did 9 2mm holes on the wide side of the stat...(drill it with the rubber sealant on so that you know the point under which you should drill...)

quite a difference...with 20c air temp it goes up to 75c at 100kmp...takes A LOT longer to build up in traffic and the best thing is that when at 100c,if you run it for a couple of hundred meters even at low speeds,drops immediately to 90...

in a 11 km commute with 8-10 relatively long red lights it never started the fan...

used a 50-50 mixture of total organic coolant and distiled water...

·
Registered
483 Posts
My coolant drained in a spray and not a consistent stream...why is that?

Made for a very messy day lol

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
164 Posts
It gets cold up in CT,any other recommended coolant?

·
Registered
16 Posts
16. With radiator cap still off, start the bike and watch the coolant get sucked down into the pump and radiator. Add more coolant to fill it up again. Blip throttle 3-4 times to burp the air out of the system. Add more coolant if needed. Replace and tighten the radiator cap.

just a quick question, starting the bike with the radiator cap off wont have coolant spitting out everywhere? Sorry noob question. Is there some type of line to tell you when to stop filling?

101 - 120 of 151 Posts