Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a dumb question but can anyone tell me the length of the fork legs on 07 or later bikes? Just the total extended tube length, not with adjusters.

I am also trying to find what the spring rates are as stock since I think I may be too heavy for them.

Thanks if anyone can let me know.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
I had an extra set of forks, but I sold them last weekend... sorry!

But on the spring rate question, regardless of what they come with, it doesn't matter. You could be. Whether they come with a .85 or a 1.15 you could be too heavy. So the question is, why do you think that?

What are the issues? That's how you determine if they are too soft.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm. Well.

Pretty sure the spring rate does matter somewhat since not one pro suspension guy would lift a finger on your bike without verifying the spring rates and setting sag.

I was told the 600rr had soft rates due to its light weight, and I am like 240 with gear.

And any fork length info?

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
If you want to know a few, let me know.

But what makes one a "professional?" Do they need a shop? Do they need to sell or install suspension components? Do they need to know how to tune them? Maybe work on a top 10 or top 5 AMA team? Hmmmm Good question, no??

lol That is actually a good conversation right there!

If you say you bottom the forks out, it won't matter if you're running a .85 or a 1.0, you're likely going to need more spring. Yea, you can make some other adjustments that are smaller and see if you can get there... The need to know the spring rate comes into play when you start planning on what to go to next, not really NEEDED when determining the problem.

Sorry, wasn't trying to start an argument, just like to get people to think outside the box. :biggrin: :fiddy:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, sorta. If you know the rider is say 240 like me, has raced for 14 yrs and turns championship lap times, the no matter what he is not going to work with .85kg springs.

Thats a given. Thats sorta why I was asking. I cant find the stock spring rates anywhere so thought someone on here may know.

I am just going by my experience racing 2 different series. Each track has a suspension guy, either GMD computrack or someone else. Every single on asks spring rates as a baseline. At least for the 14 years I have been racing and instructing. But if you know the spring rates let me know.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Well, sorta. If you know the rider is say 240 like me, has raced for 14 yrs and turns championship lap times, the no matter what he is not going to work with .85kg springs.
Hmmm, would a guy that weighs about 200lbs, finishing top 5 in AMA Superbike, holding lap records at PBIR and within 3 seconds of Hayes lap record at HMS ever run .85's?

lol

Thats a given. Thats sorta why I was asking. I cant find the stock spring rates anywhere so thought someone on here may know.
I believe the OEM spring rate is .95, or really close to that.

I am just going by my experience racing 2 different series. Each track has a suspension guy, either GMD computrack or someone else. Every single on asks spring rates as a baseline. At least for the 14 years I have been racing and instructing. But if you know the spring rates let me know.
Well of course they are going to want to know what spring you have, otherwise if they are going to recommend more or less spring, they wouldn't know what to recommend. lol

I always ask for a complete baseline even if their issue is tire pressure, because when you're working with someone you want to know as much as you can about them and their set up.

I don't want to ruffle any feathers, I really do just enjoy these conversations.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok thanks for spring rates.

Not totally sure about all the other stuff. Seems like a lot of typing to get the spring rates. But thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, yeah voltaic, that is actually very helpful, thanks. I would not have known where to look for all that info.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
My suspension guys lengthened my forks 15mm when I had them serviced as well; something they do for all the 600RRs they set up. Just something to look into asking about (I also raised my rear 5mm).

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
My suspension guys lengthened my forks 15mm when I had them serviced as well; something they do for all the 600RRs they set up. Just something to look into asking about (I also raised my rear 5mm).
Raising the rear sharpens the handling or makes the bike steer quicker.
Lengthening the forks.....not sure, did they tell why they do it for all RRs?
Did they lower the triples? What improvement did you feel?

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
The forks were lengthened, but after sag is set the bike doesn't sit any higher in the front. I'm not too sure why, it has forced me to ride the bike harder in order to make the front track right, but when it does it feels great. I think the geometry is closer to an R6 after the changes. The extra length is in the lower tubes only (probably via spacer in the top), so the forks sit in exactly the same place as stock.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
have heard of this......the tuners increase the total travel of the forks.....

I think the suspension pro's make use of the extra space at the bottom of the travel, (25mm) they remove some soft stop (15mm?) and leave the plastic bump stop only in the bottoms of the forks (10mm).

they remove the oil stop?

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
have heard of this......the tuners increase the total travel of the forks.....

I think the suspension pro's make use of the extra space at the bottom of the travel, (25mm) they remove some soft stop (15mm?) and leave the plastic bump stop only in the bottoms of the forks (10mm).

they remove the oil stop?
If you add extenders you can raise the front to reduce leverage without sacrificing feel. You can increase braking resistance/stability and increase mechanical grip. But it reduces agility. But you can fix that with more gym time!

:cruising:

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
The forks were lengthened, but after sag is set the bike doesn't sit any higher in the front. I'm not too sure why, it has forced me to ride the bike harder in order to make the front track right, but when it does it feels great. I think the geometry is closer to an R6 after the changes. The extra length is in the lower tubes only (probably via spacer in the top), so the forks sit in exactly the same place as stock.

So more confdence trail-braking deep now?

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
I'm not agile enough to give a good review; one thing that has definitely changed, I can no longer ride as 'sloppy' as I once did; if I don't load the forks enough, the bike will feel like it's falling into the turn. So I imagine the edge of grip is now expanded as far as feel goes. I'm just trusting the builders at this point.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
The spring rate on stock '07 600RR is 1.0 in the front. The 600RR is sprung for a heavier ride out of the factory. The 08 GSXR 600/750s are sprung for lightweight horse jockeys lol

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
OP; Niner is an EXCELLENT resource to ask these questions. Yes; sometimes he might not give you a direct answer but there's a reason behind that. It requires you to question/think about WHY you're asking the question and will help you better understand the overall dynamics of your suspension.

Weight only plays a small part into deciding which spring rate too use. Things like braking zones, amount of brakes, track layout, types of corner...and more will help decide which spring rate to use. Most racers will have 3 sets of springs on them for this reason.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts