Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use my bike to and from school and pretty much everywhere its a gas saver from me. i was wondering what kind of milage you guys were getting and are their any up-grades that will help it out

·
Registered
901 Posts
the only way i know to get better gas milage is to not run the s**t out of it if im cruzing i get 150 160 a tank if im running it like i stole it i get like 90 to 110 max

·
Registered
173 Posts
I get about 39-40mpg out of mine, don't really commute on it, just use it for fun so I'm not exactly trying to conserve gas either :)

·
Registered
542 Posts
im averagin' 35-37 mpg...i use it to commute and tend to stay in lower gears while lane splitting, might explain that...otherwise just night ridin

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
The last i checked I got 42 mpg. But, its still new so still using the first gear a lot to go upto 45-50 quickly.......

im averagin' 35-37 mpg...i use it to commute and tend to stay in lower gears while lane splitting, might explain that...otherwise just night ridin

·
Registered
247 Posts
Im getting about 45 mpg with mine.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
I have to fill up around at around lunch break, so I guess that's about 4 sessions...

:)

·
Registered
143 Posts
i am getting around 37-40 mpg usually....

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yeah... The 07 does use much less fuel than the 03.

I got about 170miles a tank(from full to empty) on my 03.
On my 07 the red blinking on the fuelgauge starts at 185miles. Guess it will go closer to 220miles before stopping. :)

·
Vendor --- BOTM 05/2009
2,637 Posts
I get about 1000 smiles per gallon.

Seriously though, if you calculate the tire cost, its almost as much as the fuel cost so you aren't saving anything by taking a bike vs. a cage

·
Registered
478 Posts
Ive got 1600 miles on my bike and im getting 150 miles to a tank.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I get about 1000 smiles per gallon.

Seriously though, if you calculate the tire cost, its almost as much as the fuel cost so you aren't saving anything by taking a bike vs. a cage

Bluedev,

Actually, perhaps this will cheer you up...

Remember we are comparing apples to oranges when we compare a super high performance (faster than an Enzo in a straight line!) bike to a frugal commuter car (i.e. Civic, etc.). A more fair comparo would be:

My old commuter: Audi RS 6

Needs new tires every 15K-20K at @$275 (each at tirerack), total cost for tires every @17.5K=$1100.00.

Needs a maintenance every 10K, after warranty cost @$500.00 plus

avg cost (not counting fuel consumption) every 10K is @$1128.57

My 600RR:

Needs new tires (this is hard to tell as I keep getting flats but my front is still pretty good after 8400miles) every, we'll say 7k for rear, 10k for front, @$260.00 at CycleGear. total cost for tires every 17.5K = $560.00

Needs maintenance (per OM) every 8K=less than $100.00 as I do all non vital stuff myself, but for the sake of comparing apples to apples, dealer would rape me way less than $500.00 that is paid on said Audi.

Total avg cost every 10K is <$600.00

factor in fuel consumption, parts, major service, the 600RR is WAY cheaper for me to commute in/on.

For truely economical bikes, get a Ninja 250R, super cheap way to commute via freeway.

Ben

·
Vendor --- BOTM 05/2009
2,637 Posts
Bluedev,

Needs new tires (this is hard to tell as I keep getting flats but my front is still pretty good after 8400miles) every, we'll say 7k for rear, 10k for front, @$260.00 at CycleGear. total cost for tires every 17.5K = $560.00

For truely economical bikes, get a Ninja 250R, super cheap way to commute via freeway.

Ben
This would be true if your running sport touring tires on your RR. If you are running the stock tires, or other common hypersport tires, there is no way your going to get 7000 miles out of them. I'm lucky to get 3000 miles out of a set. Pilot Powers seem to last longer than Qualifiers or Diablo's. The front should last longer than the rear, and my front just started showing cords this weekend at 3200 miles. Some people only get 2500 miles out of a set of tires, so 3000 is doing good. I'm sure a lot of it is how you ride too, but if you don't spend any time on this bike leaned over or on the throttle, whats the point?

I like to think of tires as "cost per tank" of gas. that puts it into perspective for me. If you get 150 miles out of one tank of gas, that would be 20 tanks per 3000 miles, or 20 tanks per set of sport tires. So even if you get a set of tires for 260$ mounted and balanced (which is a great deal if your not doing it yourself), thats $13 per tank for tires. Thats more money per tank of gas than the actual gas. Even if you were to use sport touring tires, that would still be about $6 per tank of gas for tires.

For comparison, I can get about 60-70k miles on a set of cage tires. A bike depreciates a lot faster than a car, requires more maintenance, and wont last as long too. So even under the best and most frugal circumstances it would probably be a break even to take a bike vs. a common mid size car.

Now the Ninja 250 idea is a whole other deal. I've got one of those for my wife and have been taking it to work to save on fuel. That thing gets close to 70mpg and has some hard a$$ tires that will probably last 10 or 12k, and only cost 2000 bucks to buy vs. 9000.

·
Registered
309 Posts
This would be true if your running sport touring tires on your RR. If you are running the stock tires, or other common hypersport tires, there is no way your going to get 7000 miles out of them. I'm lucky to get 3000 miles out of a set...
Actually, I am running the oem front (only reason I am not running oem rears is they are $300.00+, so I got the "regular" $140.00 Qualifier for the rear). The oem Qualifier had 3500 miles on it when the first flat occured. It had plenty of tread left, so yes, how you ride is important. My front is full oem and still has at least 2K more miles left in it and as it stands, there is 8400 miles on that said oem front Qualifier. No, I do not pop wheelies doing 100mph+, no, I do not do smokey burn outs, no, when I canyon ride, I am not balls out, knee sliding, that would be for my track day coming up in October. I would never bash anyone for wanting to go balls out on public roads, but that just isn't me, too many variables.

I don't exactly ride like a grandma either, but I stand behind my tire life quotes. If driven resonably, these tires will last a lot longer than most think. Problem is these bikes are so fun to ride.

Again, I believe you are missing the point of my comparison. You mention 60-70K miles on a set of cage tires. This is for ECONOMICAL tires for an ECONOMICAL car. Apples to oranges. The CBR600RR is not an economical bike, it is a bike that in the right hands can blast the 1/4mile in 10.6 seconds. Name me one car that has tires that last 60-70K that can do the same thing, name one. You can't. You are comparing super sport bike tires to Prius/Civic tires. And that was the whole point of my post. My RS 6 (super sport tires) does the 1/4 in 12.9-13.2, still far slower than the 600RR, but the point is valid, a performance car to a performance bike. And make no mistake, 15-20K per set of tires on an RS 6 is doing good. Most of my friends from the forum over at rs6.com do NOT get 15-20K. They get closer to 8-12K. Apples to apples.

My point was to make Bluedev feel good about his purchase. Had he purchased a High Performance Cage, he would be spending more $$$ commuting than on his bike. We can not compare the 600RR to Prius/Civics. For that, we should compare the Ninja 250R. And like you aknowledge, a great commuter.

Is it really so hard to believe I will get 10K+ out of my front and 7K out of rear oem Qualifiers?

Ben

1 - 20 of 32 Posts