Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

during the long winter here in Scotland, I am planning on having thew swingarm from my 07 bike painted. I have found a local company who are willing to do the job for a great price.

This is where I require some advice first though, they only want the swingarm itself. Therefore I need to remove it before giving it to them. I am more than happy to do so myself, I have plenty of tools and a garage to keep my bike in.

My first issue is this; How do prop the bike up to take the swingarm off? I have front and rear paddock stands only, no frame stand.

Secondly, does anyone know where I can buy the special socket required to remove the nut that holds the swingarm bolt to the frame?

Thirdly, will I need to replace the bearings at all, or can they be removed and re-inserted once the job is done.

Does anybody else have any advice or tips for doing this?

Many thanks.

Robin.

·
Registered
197 Posts
ok ive done the job on my 2014 and its easy. First issue is simple use ratchet straps and use your rear passenger pegs to support off the ground. also you can use a set of jack stands under the rider rear sets if you have aftermarket ones that dont fold IE vortex. you dont need the special socket front honda. you can get one for your local dealer. but i used a punch and mallet to loosen the pinch bolt but you do need a buck nasty allen key to loosen it from the left side. and yes replace all the bearings in it its way easier. also honestly when i did mine i bought a spare arm lol it was easier. so i didnt miss any riding. also if you want to pm me you can if you check out my build thread you can see the process also you will need a master link or a new chain cause you will need to remove it. Let me know PM me i will help you out

·
Registered
397 Posts
socket - i cut up an imperial size socket out of my toolbox that i was never going to use. All you need to leave are TWO opposing tabs, not four.. Metal grinder with that.

Removal of the swingarm itself is actually SUPER easy. Just start taking things off. Shock comes undone and out easy as well. I also took off my rear sets for clearance reasons, but it wasn't necessary.

I would consult the manual for removing the bearings. I think you have to press them out. They will take the oven temperature, but there's no way to get the grease out which will turn to ***. Manual.

I just did a swingarm on my bike that broke due to a stupid oversized spool slider ripping material off the arm. grrr.

good luck brotha.

·
Registered
496 Posts
When I did my swingarm I just bought a used black one off of ebay. Found a few that were in perfect condition. Didn't have to wait or worry about replacing anything just swapped them out. But as etxx said I also used a socket, I took a 30mm craftsman socket and cut up to make the tabs works perfect.

·
Registered
397 Posts
same here. Paid like $37 shipped on eBay from FL to CA for one that had a scuffed sticker. took it off and the surface was perfect. score.

and nothing like a visual... like this, but all you really need is two opposing tabs.

·
Registered
197 Posts
same here. Paid like $37 shipped on eBay from FL to CA for one that had a scuffed sticker. took it off and the surface was perfect. score.

and nothing like a visual... like this, but all you really need is two opposing tabs.

bro that is true awesomeness :+1::banger: no joke thats awesome!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so far folks.

Hi there,

Thanks for the tips so far guys, I managed to source a socket customized for removing the lock nut on the swing arm and I've also done a dry run with my paddock stands and I am happy I can support the bike whilst the swingarm is away to get blasted.

I turned the footpegs around and the rear paddock stand sits under them nicely and I'll also use some ratchet straps to support the rear from the roof.

I am looking to purchase the bearings now and was looking for a little more advice.

Can anyone tell me the exact bearings I need to purchase and where I can get them? (I'm in the UK)

Also what is the best way to get the old ones out/new ones in?

Thanks in advance

Robin.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice post
Thinking of doing the same here.
Want to at least take my swingarm on my 2007 off and re-grease since the bit Sat for 8 years. Thinking with only around 7000km bearings should be fine just grease would be minimal after sitting so long.
For the 2007 model year I haven't seen the exact measurements needed for either castle nut or Allen key for removing swingarm. Would anyone kindly please let me know what is needed for removal or the swingarm? Thanks in advance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts