Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

Have a 08’, ran great up until I stopped riding for a couple of months. When I tried to start it everything worked as if no time had passed, let it heat up and went for a small ride around the block, all good but when I went to ride it the next day it wouldn’t turn on.
Dash doesn’t light up with the key ON. Everything else electrical isn’t working, fuel pump / starter / buzzer / lights.

Checked and recharged battery, after reconnecting the battery the rpm needle moved + clock is working + HISS light blinks but, that’s it, dash doesn’t turn on.

Checked the main 30A fuse inside the red connector, seems to be ok.

Any more ideas?

Edit: would the dash turn on if there was an issue with HISS?

·
Registered
671 Posts
I've never had one with HISS so can't speak to that. On most bikes with immobilizer circuits the dash turns on but bike doesn't turn over.

I'd remove and clean the main ground (follow the black wire that's connected to the battery). Use sandpaper to get any crud off both the connector and where it grounds to the bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Fair enough! I’ll have to check where that ground is, thanks! Wouldn’t the tach have no energy if there was a problem with that ground? It does sweep / HISS blinks when I reconnect the battery.

As an update, checked the Meter/Illumi fuse and it’s ok as well.

·
Registered
671 Posts
When you have an intermittent ground crazy stuff can happen. Had this on my motorcycle trailer once and the turn signal would work on one side but not the other. I tried everything to fix it (bulbs, new wiring, fuses). Finally I moved the ground wire and bingo. I think it's because different circuits have various amounts of resistance to overcome to function properly.

Making sure ground is good is just and easy step before you have to start with the harder stuff. I'd also unplug and clean the big plug from the main harness to the cluster harness. It's on the right side directly down from brake lever. It's big, you can't miss it. All power to the cluster/lights/horn etc. goes through that. If that is loose or cruddy it would cause your symptoms.

Since the bike worked fine one day and not the next and you have multiple failure points it has to be something that affects all those points.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts