Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Sweeper Warrior
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i've been reading about the 08 1K. finally Honda has a slipper clutch! to top it off, they are saying it's been redesigned so that it uses lighter spring's allowing for easy cable operation.

what does everyone think?

also, who ever buy's a 08 1Krr, and decides to take it off, let us know! i'm interested in finding out if this unit could be easly retrofited to the 600rr. T.K.

·
Sweeper Warrior
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honda went back to a cable operated clutch?

i think it was a Sport Rider articale for the 08. they said that they wanted a slipper, but didn't want to use a hydraulic clutch due to the extra weight. they talked about how the redesigned the slipper so they could use lighter spring's and a cable system. apparently it has two set's of cam's one work's in one direction, the other in the other direction.

·
Sweeper Warrior
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmmm... that's very interesting. i'm going to have to read that.

like i said, i THINK it was Sport Rider. it was 2 week's ago, and the mag had the 08 1Krr on the cover, with the 08 Kawi in the top right. they talked specs on the Kawi, and had the 1Krr on the track. they went into depth about the new feature's. clutch and exh. were talked about thourghly. T.K.

K

·
0 Posts
like i said, i THINK it was Sport Rider. it was 2 week's ago, and the mag had the 08 1Krr on the cover, with the 08 Kawi in the top right. they talked specs on the Kawi, and had the 1Krr on the track. they went into depth about the new feature's. clutch and exh. were talked about thourghly. T.K.
Yeah, i thought i read that just as throughly, but i'll have to review it again. it's sitting downstairs on the kamode for perusing.

It's interesting though, all the same, to use a cable system in a transmission that sees incredible forces from the engine using less forceful springs. maybe as part of that clutch cam thing you were talking about forces the plate together more when it sees power from the engine. like a reverse slipper clutch. a dip in the middle of the ramp to seat it, a gradual ramp for acceleration force, a sharp ramp for deceleration force.

very interesting indeed. that would account for a lighter system.

·
Sweeper Warrior
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, i thought i read that just as throughly, but i'll have to review it again. it's sitting downstairs on the kamode for perusing.

so was it Sport Rider? if so/or not what mag, and issue
? thank's, T.K.

·
Registered
550 Posts
it has to either be motorcyclist or cycle world, because the last issue of sport rider was the BOTY. cant believe the gsxr 1000 took it again. but anyway, sport rider only had 08' models from kawasaki and yamaha. the new motorcyclist has a good thorough review on the 08 cbr1000rr as well as the new gsxr 600 and 750.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
i was surprised to see it had a cable clutch. but every other jap liter bike has a cable clutch so it makes sense.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
it has to either be motorcyclist or cycle world, because the last issue of sport rider was the BOTY. cant believe the gsxr 1000 took it again....
why not? the Gixxer 1K is an amazing machine, well worthy of it's BOTY award.

K

·
0 Posts
why not? the Gixxer 1K is an amazing machine, well worthy of it's BOTY award.
yeah but the fact that a 600 was competing with a 1000 like the GSX1000R with lap times and corner speeds matching at about a second or two off it's pace is frickin crazy. i think what put the GSX1000R over the top to be winner was the basic "had more power on the street" issue. derr.... it's got over 150hp to the rear wheel. it's gonna...

straight dumb. as far as bike of the year, i think the CBR600RR got passed over BIG time. a 600 that's just as awesome as a 1000 should have taken that trophy home EASY.

i can't find any GSX1000R RWHP numbers ATM, but i'll bet cc for cc the 600 has it beat.

·
Sweeper Warrior
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it suppose to be a actual slipper clutch..
it is a cable assisted clutch system.

i don't understand the cable assisted part.

from what i read, they redesigned it using an inverted/second set of cams. allowing for the use of normal (or slightly stiffer) spring's. they did this in order to keep cable operation. the mag. talked about Honda not wanting to use a hydraulic system due to the extra weight.

hopefuly Slugger went down stair and read the articale like he said. with all his technical in sight, i'm sure he'll be able to explain it more in depth. i search around the net yesterday in an attempt to put a link in this thread. had no luck. T.K.

·
Registered
550 Posts
yeah but the fact that a 600 was competing with a 1000 like the GSX1000R with lap times and corner speeds matching at about a second or two off it's pace is frickin crazy. i think what put the GSX1000R over the top to be winner was the basic "had more power on the street" issue. derr.... it's got over 150hp to the rear wheel. it's gonna...

straight dumb. as far as bike of the year, i think the CBR600RR got passed over BIG time. a 600 that's just as awesome as a 1000 should have taken that trophy home EASY.

i can't find any GSX1000R RWHP numbers ATM, but i'll bet cc for cc the 600 has it beat.
my point exactly. trust me i think the new gsxr 1000 is an amazing piece of machine and whatever the people at suzuki are doing, they are definitely doing it right. but the way this 600 blew the competition out of the water this year should have been more important than the big liter just over powering it. the cbr did come close though so i think it was pretty fair.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
And the 08 slipper clutch is said to have a unique center-cam-assist mechanism. Not sure what that is... but sure we'll find out! :)

·
Sweeper Warrior
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And the 08 slipper clutch is said to have a unique center-cam-assist mechanism. Not sure what that is... but sure we'll find out! :)

from what i read, it's a second set of cam's that "lock" the clutch mechanicly (as opposed to useing stiff a$$ spring's) when power is applied from the engine. when the rear wheel tourqe exceed's that of the engine, the mechanism release and from there it's like a typical slipper clutch.

i was going to swing by the store and find out which mag./ issue it was, but ni got lost some where in the "Friday" evening. T.K.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts