Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

08 ABS vs 09 C-ABS??

3K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  dannoxyz 
#1 ·
Can someone explain how the 2008 ABS system works? I didn't even realize it was available for 08 bikes until today.

How does it differ from the 09+ combined ABS (C-ABS) system?

Can the 08 ABS be upgraded to the C-ABS system?

Thanks!

#2 ·
I hate dealing with the ABS on my 09 bike! Bleeding the lines sucks and its hard to interchange wheels rotors between ABS to Non-ABS. But what exactly are you looking to learn about? I have the service manual for the 09 model with ABS and I can send that to you? If you want to compare 08 and 09 service manuals.

Audi S4 + CBR600rr enthusiast Tapatalk

#17 ·
I hate dealing with the ABS on my 09 bike! Bleeding the lines sucks and its hard to interchange wheels rotors between ABS to Non-ABS. But what exactly are you looking to learn about? I have the service manual for the 09 model with ABS and I can send that to you? If you want to compare 08 and 09 service manuals.

Hey man, I know this thread is really dated but do you still have the service manual for the 09 CBR600rr with C-ABS?? I need to bleed the brakes and I know the process is a royal PITA... Could you please send it to me if you do?

Many thanks

#3 ·
Bleeding lines on any bike sucks, I am sure it's 10x worse with an abs bike.

I am just trying to figure out how the 2008 ABS works. I can't find any info anywhere on the 08 ABS.

This is a great detailed article on the 09+ C-ABS. https://www.cycleworld.com/sport-rider/2009-honda-cbr600rr-c-abs-future-indicator

But nothing on the 08.

They are calling the 09+ combined. Is that because the older ABS in 08 was just front abs??

Anyone on here have an 08 ABS bike?

Thanks.

#7 · (Edited)
This is the best picture he has of the front.

You can see it's been down, but it does have 08 fairings and he says it's an 08 and that there was an option for abs that year. He also says it has rear abs, sensor and tone ring.

I have seen at a lot of 07-08 600rr's over the years, and this is the first 08 I have seen or heard of having ABS. :dontknow:

#10 ·
According to a quick google search it seems that auto evolution references a 2008 ABS model with the C-ABS. It could be that it was one of the first models that got the C-ABS and they forgot to upgrade the model to RA instead of RR. But in my opinion there shouldn't be any differences at all. I wouldn't worry about it honestly. If the bike is in good conditions go for it.

#12 ·
I would ask the following:

1. Has the brake fluid been flush before or replaced? If it has been replaced did a shop do the job or him and what bleeding process did they/he use?
2. When you ride it the ABS light should come on and after a few mph it should turn off. I don't recommend trying to activate ABS unless you feel comfortable doing so.
3. Check for brake pad wear. If its uneven thats a clear sign that the caliper needs to be either cleaned or rebuilt.
4. Easy one but the ABS module is on the left side of the bike and covered by the fairings.
5. Note that the brakes do get spongy at times but its normal with these bikes but you will be able to tell when the lines have air in them or its just the normal behaviour of the brakes.

#14 · (Edited)
The reason they gave the 09+ full engine covers was to hide the godawful mess of the ABS system.

Not sure what they did on the 08 above....no left side pic...on bike you're looking at?

ABS adds some weight, but if you ride in the wet maybe worth it?

ps. wheels have been refinished (non OE color), check this bike carefully for damage!

#16 ·
The guy should have bought the 09 ABS fairings to cover up the module. But if you were planning on tracking that bike and you could talk him down to 4k I would have jumped on it. I've low side twice and had a car hit me at low speeds and the bikes is still running beautifully. Well minus the fucked up fairings lol These bikes can take the abuse you give it. I'm at 38k miles with 4 track days and still runs like champ.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.