Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is in reference to the 08 CBR1000RR, I heard a lot of great things and read great things about this bike although it burns oil? Anyone know how true this is? I know it's not a 600 but didn't want to waste time registering on the 1000 forum to ask.

·
Registered
213 Posts

use search function on other forums. I am not sure how much they can burn, but if you do not have emissions, and they only burn <1 liter per 3000 miles, i would say who cares.

·
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*
23,598 Posts
Some of the Blades came with bad piston rings that let a lot of oil blow by on hard acceleration. From what I remember some were losing a quart every thousand miles or as bad as a quart a trackday. Honda's first reaction was that it was normal. Later down the line the replaced the rings for some owners.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some of the Blades came with bad piston rings that let a lot of oil blow by on hard acceleration. From what I remember some were losing a quart every thousand miles or as bad as a quart a trackday. Honda's first reaction was that it was normal. Later down the line the replaced the rings for some owners.

Is their a way to find out which time frame of built bikes had those bad rings without pulling the engine apart?

This is the info I was looking for! So it wasn't for every bike just a handful had bad rings?

·
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*
23,598 Posts
Is their a way to find out which time frame of built bikes had those bad rings without pulling the engine apart?

This is the info I was looking for! So it wasn't for every bike just a handful had bad rings?
For any details like that might have to ask on a 1000RR forum. Someone here might know though. I heard rumors saying they were fixed in 09 and some saying it wasn't. Better off finding somebody that can verify as you'll get a lot of hersey on the subject.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Yes, they did burn. Not all, but MANY did burn oil.

Some got re-ringed at the dealer per Honda, although Honda corporate never voluntarily recalled or made such repairs mandatory on oil burning Fireblades (often a sour point for some former Fireblade owners).

YMMV

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, they did burn. Not all, but MANY did burn oil.

Some got re-ringed at the dealer per Honda, although Honda corporate never voluntarily recalled or made such repairs mandatory on oil burning Fireblades (often a sour point for some former Fireblade owners).

YMMV

I only ask because I saw an 08 fireblade 100% stock with 3300mi on it for 7400.00 and that was even at a dealership! Although I don't have the money for it right now I just can't see myself spending 12-13k for a 2012 fireblade.

So if you did find a really good deal on one would the only thing you would need to do is pull the old rings out and put in new ones?

I am going to track with my 600 for now but once I get done going to CSS levels 1-4 and get a lot of seat time under my belt I am going to be building a 1000 race bike in the process.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts