Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I see a lot of write-ups about wether to take the fairing off or not and blah blah blah... so here is my step by step. I decided to take the clutch side fairing off which gives you really easy access to the oil filter. So here is what you need. Make sure you properly dispose of your oil... Flushing it down the toilet is not a good way of getting rid of oil! Honda 4-stroke 10w-40 motor oil, oem oil filter, oil catcher, funnel and tin foil

So the side fairing comes off easy enough this gives really easy access to the oil filter.

So lets drain us some oil

once oil is drained we'll move on to the oil filter. once the oil is drained remember to tighten the drain plug so oil actually stays in the motorcycle!

I always just have my oil filters hand tightened so with a little force it should come right off. This is where we want to use the tin foil I just placed the tin foil under the oil filter as I removed it and funneled it down in between the headers. This is optional, if you spill some oil on the headers it will burn of and stink but no use crying over spilled milk.
Next we will install the new oil filter make sure you dip your finger in the oil and run it around the edge of the new oil filter. New oil filter fits right in with no problem and looks much cleaner then the older one. :)

Honda calls for 3.1 quarts of oil, I only ended up using 3 and it filled it just fine.

I added about 3 quarts started it up and ran it for about 4 minutes. Remember to check the oil level window.

the photo above is with the Bike on the kick stand make sure you level out the bike so you actually see oil in the oil window, If you see oil filled up in the window while the bike is on its kick stand, you officially have to much oil in your Bike. Reinstall side fairing and your done! In total took me about 45 minutes and only cost be about 35 dollars. Well worth it! hope this helps if you have any questions just ask!

·
Administrator
51,154 Posts
Congrats on a brilliant write up man job well done you got your first sticky :banger:

·
Administrator
51,154 Posts
All the same 03 to 09

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad I could help out. It's okay to get oil on the headers... it will just stink until it burns off. No harm no foul

·
Registered
327 Posts
Honda calls for 3 quarts with the change of the oil filter. But great write up otherwise.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It probably is but I just found this easiest to get to the oil filter off. Truth be told you don't really need to take off any of the fairings. This way just seemed best to minimize oil spilling on the headers.

Cheers

·
Registered
225 Posts
u took the whole side fairing off. the top and bottom are seperate on mine. im thinkin the 08 is the same. but good write up. wish i seen this back when i did an oil change the first time

·
Registered
220 Posts
phew i had a bad feeling i would have to take my headers off this thread just made my day

·
Registered
258 Posts
Where did you buy the oil, filter, drain container? I'm going to do my first ever oil change and I've seen it done once on a car like 5 years ago so I kind of got the idea. I just dunno if I should just go to my local Autozone or do I need to get OEM specific stuff at the dealer?

I purchased a pre-owned 2009 Cbr 600rr that had its oil changed right before I purchased it from the dealer (it had 9,500 miles). Rode it for about 4 months and it now has around 11,000 miles and I'm getting it ready for winter storage.

·
Registered
15 Posts
too many places to buy oils and filters just make sure what you get is pretty much motorcycle specific. Lot of people here just contact the Amsoil dealer guy here on the forums and order oil and filters through him. Usually arrives at your door within a week of your order or less.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Mission acomplished!!!!!!!!!...though I encountered a couple problems, mainly due to me learning how to do it the first time. Got all my supplies at the same place I bought the bike from they are very helpful. Overall I would say this is a 15 minute job but it took me about an hour. After I put the fairings back on (F**k!) I realized I did not have to take off any fairings as I saw that they located everything easy access.

I rather clean up a little oil spill on the pipes than having to deal with fairings.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Greast Write Up! I'm sure it will help ALOT OF PEOPLE!

Motorcycle Maintenace 101, everyone should know how to
do this.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts