Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

A couple months ago the bike got pretty weak when starting up, and eventually refused to start and i had to push-start it (the battery was at least 2 years old). I went and bought a new battery and everything seemed fine until recently it's sounded a little weak when starting up. Still runs fine, but start-up was a little weak. I broke out the multi-meter and got the following information:

battery voltage (bike off): 12.21V
battery voltage (bike idling): 12.31V
Rectifier pin 1: .455V
Rectifier pin 2: .453V
Rectifier pin 3: .455V
Stator resistance check: all 3 pins between 0.1-1(ohm)

I'm not great with electrical troubleshooting/repairs, but to the best of my knowledge, these charging system readings are okay? the battery voltage when off, and idling are both definitely low, but i can not tell why that is.

I'd appreciate any help or suggestions with this.

thanks,
joey

Registered
What's the battery voltage at 5.5k rpm? You should have @ 13-14v from the rectifier. If not, double check all your battery terminals and your main ground wire for tightness and corrosion. If the cables check out fine then you might need to replace the rectifier.

12.2v is WAY too low! Your battery should be showing @ 13.0v on a good, freshly charged battery.

Last thing.... Buy a trickle charger for $30 and save your batteries! There's really no excuse not to have one. 馃構

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the suggestions. I'll get the 5.5k rpm voltage and inspect the ground wire and battery terminals when i get home tonight, and get back to you. I have a battery tender and the quick disconnect on order from amazon, should be here tomorrow.

BOTY 2014 Winner
Dont bother checking resistance at the stator. Check AC volts with the bike running

If you lose a phase in your stator you will still get some charging current but not enough to keep things healthy.

Make sure you perform all necessary tests prior to purchasing parts.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
What's the battery voltage at 5.5k rpm? You should have @ 13-14v from the rectifier. If not, double check all your battery terminals and your main ground wire for tightness and corrosion. If the cables check out fine then you might need to replace the rectifier.

12.2v is WAY too low! Your battery should be showing @ 13.0v on a good, freshly charged battery.

Last thing.... Buy a trickle charger for $30 and save your batteries! There's really no excuse not to have one. 馃構

I re-checked the following info last night, and am more confused that i was to begin with:

battery voltage (bike off): 11.89V
battery voltage (bike idle): 12.2V
battery voltage (5.5k rpm): 13.7V

Ground wire was solidly connected with little/no corrosion or defects. battery terminals were also in good shape.

Does this suggest that I've got some kind of slow draw somewhere in the bike that is draining the battery even when the bike is completely off?

thanks again.

Registered
Not necessarily. Right now it only proves the battery voltage is too low and needs to be charged. What size and kind of battery did you get?

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Xtreme Z10S AGM. 185CCA, 8.6AH. (from Batteries Plus).

I'll get it hooked up to the float charger tonight and take more readings when fully charged.

Registered
My current battery is a gel type battery also. I noticed that for the first time in its entire history the bike would crank even if the battery was below 12.6v. In the past, when my voltage got down around 12.6v or below, the bike wouldn't crank.

I'm not sure but it appears that the gel type batteries might hold more CCA. That's great in a pinch but I don't think it's a good idea to run the battery voltage that low. According to Dynojet, I've apparently already fried my previous PCIII a few years back when I was trying to crank and move my bike out of storage.

I'm pretty sure that getting the trickle charger installed should solve these issues for you.

BOTY 2014 Winner
I doubt it. Disconnect the battery and see if the resting voltage changes.

Pull the battery and charge it on the bench. Don't task the bike with bringing it back up again.

Also test your stator output voltage on all 3 phases.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
I doubt it. Disconnect the battery and see if the resting voltage changes.

Pull the battery and charge it on the bench. Don't task the bike with bringing it back up again.

Also test your stator output voltage on all 3 phases.
Stator pins 1-3: ~18VAC at idle
Stator pins 2-3: 6.7VAC at idle
Stator pins 1-2: ~16.5VAC at idle

I pulled the battery, resting voltage was around 11.9V. it's on the battery tender overnight also.

thanks

BOTY 2014 Winner
you have what's likely a phase out or going out in your stator. as the windings short together you lose the inductance of the coil and your voltage falls off.

rev it up to around 5000rpm. you should see 50 ish volts evenly across the board.

if you drop a phase on your stator your charging capacity goes WAY down. that's probably why your battery discharged.

do the 5k test, chances are that middle phase will still be low.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts