Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my opinion, the inspiration for the 600RR was an effort by Honda to build a street legal, user friendly version of a MotoGP bike. After the bike was built they thought, "well, I guess now we need a 1K version of the 600RR because consumers will buy it".

I really love the 600. There is nothing more I like to hear than that engine howling through the ram air intake while cruising down the highway. When you hit that throttle, it sounds like a Formula One race car. The 1000RR on the other hand sounds like a Chevy 350 V8, and only when you're on the throttle. When cruising on the 1KRR, all you hear is wind noise. The 600's engine also spins up faster than the 1K. I also prefer the undertail exhaust of the 600, but my rear is never on the pillion to feel that heat.

I'm not a fan of the slipper-clutch either. The 600RR is more responsive when down shifting and seems to offer more control.

They're both rock solid in turns. I didn't think I'd notice the extra 29 lbs on the 1KRR, but I do. The power on the 1000 is awesome, but power is not everything.

I love the 1KRR, but I really do miss the 600

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
^^ yea im sure they would give it back.....:retard:

haha well that sucks you have buyers remorse. hopefully it all works out for ya.
good luck

·
Registered
368 Posts
Ride the 1k like you did on your 600 and you'll discover the true beauty of a liter bike.

*track only, obviously.

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
In my opinion, the inspiration for the 600RR was an effort by Honda to build a street legal, user friendly version of a MotoGP bike. After the bike was built they thought, "well, I guess now we need a 1K version of the 600RR because consumers will buy it".

I really love the 600. There is nothing more I like to hear than that engine howling through the ram air intake while cruising down the highway. When you hit that throttle, it sounds like a Formula One race car. The 1000RR on the other hand sounds like a Chevy 350 V8, and only when you're on the throttle. When cruising on the 1KRR, all you hear is wind noise. The 600's engine also spins up faster than the 1K. I also prefer the undertail exhaust of the 600, but my rear is never on the pillion to feel that heat.

I'm not a fan of the slipper-clutch either. The 600RR is more responsive when down shifting and seems to offer more control.

They're both rock solid in turns. I didn't think I'd notice the extra 29 lbs on the 1KRR, but I do. The power on the 1000 is awesome, but power is not everything.

I love the 1KRR, but I really do miss the 600
All manufacturers use racing as a test bed for production. This goes for everything involved with racing from the bikes down to the tires they ride on. Of course Honda built the 600RR, as well as the 1KR with race pedigree.

Your highway analogy is simply a result of a lower displacement motor. Downshift the 1KR if you want it to howl and if it isn't responsive enough, you definitely haven't found the sweet spot. That son of a b power wheelies through 3 gears easy!

Your point about control when downing shifting and the slipper puzzles me. A slipper clutch helps to stabilize the bike under braking as it modulates clutch engagement for you while downshifting to avoid wheel skip due to the wheel rotating too fast for the engine at a given moment. If you are talking about the slipper and the slipper alone, your statement doesn't make sense as its impossible for the 600 without a slipper to be more stable than the 1000 with.

Of course you'll notice the added weight, but you are comparing the 6 to the 1000 plain and simple. Compare the 1KR to other litre bikes and you'll see that the Honda is probably the closest "feeling" to a 6, a wolf in sheep clothing per se. That said, from my experience, in comparison to other litre bikes, the 1KR is the most sane of them all.

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
^WTF? I could watch Scarlett sharpen pencils all day.... You play on the right team? LOL

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
true

ive ridden and owned my share of liter size bikes and theres two reasons i stay away from them

1. there noticeably heavier
2. id lose my license or end up in jail
isnt it just as easy to do 2 on a 600? shrug..

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
+1 Razor on the 600 vs 1krr. I have yet to track the 1krr but I'll have the opportunity at ACS in March. I'm not an aggressive rider but I can say based on my riding style there's not much difference between the 600 and 1k other than the power. I haven't tried other liters yet though to compare.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
All manufacturers use racing as a test bed for production. This goes for everything involved with racing from the bikes down to the tires they ride on. Of course Honda built the 600RR, as well as the 1KR with race pedigree.

Your highway analogy is simply a result of a lower displacement motor. Downshift the 1KR if you want it to howl and if it isn't responsive enough, you definitely haven't found the sweet spot. That son of a b power wheelies through 3 gears easy!

Your point about control when downing shifting and the slipper puzzles me. A slipper clutch helps to stabilize the bike under braking as it modulates clutch engagement for you while downshifting to avoid wheel skip due to the wheel rotating too fast for the engine at a given moment. If you are talking about the slipper and the slipper alone, your statement doesn't make sense as its impossible for the 600 without a slipper to be more stable than the 1000 with.

Of course you'll notice the added weight, but you are comparing the 6 to the 1000 plain and simple. Compare the 1KR to other litre bikes and you'll see that the Honda is probably the closest "feeling" to a 6, a wolf in sheep clothing per se. That said, from my experience, in comparison to other litre bikes, the 1KR is the most sane of them all.
1) You can't hear a constant howl because of the placement of the ram air intake. The 09 600's is in the center of the nose. The 1KRR's are split and below the nose. They are placed too low to hear.

2) A slipper clutch is great if you're sloppy when you blip the throttle and are unable to match the RPMs and thus lock up the rear. It slips when you downshift. I prefer my clutch not to slip. When it slips you lose some control of how the bike decelerates (I'm not talking about stability) . It delays engine braking. I don't like delays. It's my personal preference

3) You are correct. I am comparing a 600 to a 1K, that's the title of this thread

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
So you like the way the WIND hits the 600 better than the 1000. You mentioned ENGINE howl through the intake - I obviously misunderstood.

So you'd rather the rear chatter without the slipper or I'm guessing you're trying to say you don't need it.

You stated you were surprised that you noticed the weight difference between the two bikes which IMO is obvious and goes without saying.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Both bikes have their advantages, it's the rider!

A rider with more skill can take advantage of the 1000RR more so than a less experienced rider.

Granted this has nothing to do with sound... lol

wooo hooo

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
2) A slipper clutch is great if you're sloppy when you blip the throttle and are unable to match the RPMs and thus lock up the rear. It slips when you downshift. I prefer my clutch not to slip. When it slips you lose some control of how the bike decelerates (I'm not talking about stability) . It delays engine breaking. I don't like delays. It's my personal preference
Part of the greatness of the slipper clutch is you don't even need to blip the throttle, just downshift, hard and fast without moving the throttle and you'll be tooling along at the same speed, in a lower gear, without upsetting the bike in any way.

Your engine braking is delayed? By what, a millisecond?

As for noise... the less the better, IMO. I wear earplugs as it is and it's still not quiet enough for me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Part of the greatness of the slipper clutch is you don't even need to blip the throttle, just downshift, hard and fast without moving the throttle and you'll be tooling along at the same speed, in a lower gear, without upsetting the bike in any way.

As for noise... the less the better, IMO. I wear earplugs as it is and it's still not quiet enough for me.
It would be nice to see what a slipper would feel like on the 600 but is not needed in my opinion....As far as the ram air intake sound its one of the best things about the bike I love the intake sound of the 600!...You wear earplugs? I'd go crazy talking to myself:retard:...I listen to my Ipod when I ride gets me pumped up and keeps me riding strong all day long! But I'm in colorado and its legal to listen to music and ride here...:banger:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So you like the way the WIND hits the 600 better than the 1000. You mentioned ENGINE howl through the intake - I obviously misunderstood.

So you'd rather the rear chatter without the slipper or I'm guessing you're trying to say you don't need it.

You stated you were surprised that you noticed the weight difference between the two bikes which IMO is obvious and goes without saying.
Uh, yeah, I don't need a slipper clutch

Before I traded bikes I knew the 1KRR was 29 pounds heavier. I didn't think I'd notice it as much as I do

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Engine braking is delayed and not as effective

1 - 20 of 39 Posts