Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

09 cbr600rr power problem?

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  cbrkat28 
#1 ·
So...need to some help here. A few days ago i started my bike and while i left it to idle the head lights began to flicker and the power in the biker drop... the gauge became dim but when i turn off the lights it turn the gauge turn back on.
I turn off the biker and tried to start again... didn't start hard to jump start it to get home. I ask around people said battery problem. The battery was about 3 years old so i ended up changing it. Everything was working good... bike started smooth headlights everything working. While i was riding everything was good until i turn on my indicator the lights began to flicker again and the gauge dimed again. Turn the headlights off it power came back.
So thinking is this rectifier oriented ?

Note I have aftermarket projector headlights with Devil eyes and led strips. Bought from KT autoparts.

Any help would be nice! Thanks guys

#5 ·
Before anybody gets hotheaded and blames the R/R for this, I want to say that R/R DOES NOT directly supply the power for the bike and all of the accessories. What actually does that is the alternator. The alternator generates power at a high AC voltage (I've seen mine kick out 70-80) and the R/R simply regulates that to 12 volts AC (not actually 12 but let's maintain this idea for simplicity, for now) and then rectifies the voltage to DC so that the battery can be charged for use. It's important to note here that the alternator DOES NOT feed current. Current is produced when a component is turned on and requires power. So if you have a pile of crap on the bike that sucks lots of current, you can potentially go over the alternator's rated output which of course then leads to dead batteries.

Now, I don't know off hand what the alternator is rated to but since you said power "came back" after you shut the headlights off I'm willing to hazard a guess that either the headlights are drawing too much current or there's an issue in wiring with the headlights...

#6 ·
Thanks for.all the info guys. Finally got some went through the bike. Everything is working fine (rectifier and stator) the problem was the jack from the rectifer to the battery. It was burnt on the inside. So no current was going to the battery to charge it. Thank goodness just saved myself 150 bucks. Thanks again guy!

Attachments

#7 ·
Understand that burnt plug was caused by something wrong so be sure you are not simply fixing the end result and not the actual problem. For some reason everyone wants to throw those cheesy projector headlights on these bikes that may or may not draw more current than the bike can handle and end up chasing electrical problems all the time when they caused it themselves.

Not saying this is the problem but if you have other accessories like 12V GPS plugs, cell phone chargers, alarms, etc., really anything that can have an extra draw on it you will have these issues. That burnt plug looks like an over current to me.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.