Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im in the debate process! i have an 06 cbr600rr and i have decided to update. i was oh so close to getting an r1 but the specs are horrible. i wanted to step up to a 1krr. im a pretty good rider been ridin for 5 years and have had 2 lowsides one highside since then i have been accident free and have been rcovering those rear wheel slips and all. i just really dont think there is a need for a 1k. but i would like one for track. BUT im in love with my 600. and i would like a 09 cbr6rr for xmas.

my main riding consists of weekdays= commute in city traffic to work and school

weekends= twistys, shenanigans, adventures

i'd like to be able to still hit those twisties hard. im only considering the 1k cause my dealership gave me a test ride. i loved it. it felt flickable. more than my current 6! im just not confident 100% in my skill yet. how big is the jump to a 1k?

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
I have an 07 600RR and 08 1000RR and they are both AWESOME bikes!

My 6 is my dedicated trackbike and 1000 is the streetbike (with the occasional trackday).

If you are looking for a trackbike, a less experienced rider will be faster on the 600. I think a 1000 is the ideal streetbike (IMO) and is why my less several bikes have reflected this.

Last few street bikes for me have been: 08 1000RR, 02 954RR, 04 1000RR, 02 954RR,
Last few track bikes have been: 07 600RR, 04 600RR, 03 600RR

Just for the last few.

Now the 08 1000RR does bridge that gap, I am confident that my fastest lap time very well could be on the 1000RR, only the '08, the '04 I couldn't come within 6-8 seconds of my 600RR times!

But that being said, I do run in the expert group.

inexperienced riders will be faster and will benefit more from a 600.

More experienced riders will always be faster on a 1000.

[/thoughts]

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so, am i really missing much with the newer gen 600's? other than a few more hp or tq? my 600 now i have a rt1, custom map soon air filter and pulls like a mofo! that was my back up plan of keeping this one cause i dont wanna sell/trade. plus i want to step up real bad. i will have to try the next gen 6 personally to see if theres a difference.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
IMO the new 600RR is a decent, not big, but a decent step up from the 06.

It has better mid range and less weight.

I have some video of me taking a 1000RR on the track this weekend :) It's mostly all rider! Links in my sig.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
niner1000rr, i have rode the 08 1krr for 20 minutes near my dealership. the rode was just like 2 miles striaght only 2 turns. the accel was amazing! throttle response was terrific. it was stable at low speed and very light! my only concern is that is this bike really flickable? or is it overrated? lets say im on a twisty run, friends on 6's 750's. will i need more braking before i enter into the apex? i dont wanna lead in the straights and lag after corners i wanna be able to toss it around and nail the throttle hard coming out the apex and accel fast down the opposite side. i can do this now but im worried i might have to tone it down a bit the typical "1000's cant keep up in the twistie" stereotype

i mean it definitely felt like i could accel up downshift to 4th 3rd and do my thing. im starting to lean to the 1k however.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Well you have to consider some things that come with owning a liter bike, that is rotating mass. You can't get away from that!

Any 1000cc machine will obviously have more rotating mass than a lesser cc machine...

BUT, also consider that the 08 1000RR weighs LESS than the 08 gsxr 750 and 600! While having 50 more HP...

I can honestly say that I really didn't feel a loss in corner speed at the track on the 1000. It does require a different approach, I felt slightly 'taller' on the bike, requiring me to set up slightly earlier for the entry.

But unlike other literbikes, I have owned and ridden I can honestly say that I think I would be able to be faster on my 08 1000RR than my 07 600RR at the track!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea rotating mass is what im worried about! i think the route im going to take is keep my current 6. get the 1krr. transform my 6 to my track bike, keep the 1krr as my commuter/weekend thrill, and get it on track every now and then. i wanna take it easy on the 1krr for a while. my 6 wont be track converted til next season with school and all this crap. tuff for a 20 year old its hard out here for a pimp lol. ill sell my fairings and stuff lol.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i know i will be! i questioned the 06 with the r6. dad pushed me the honda. aint no lookin back since!

·
Registered
939 Posts
great video 9r..

until I can ride the wheels off mine at the track I'll keep the 600. Maybe the grass is not always greener on the other side..

Go for the fireblade so you can tell us all about it.

·
need a 1krr
1,088 Posts
sounds like you're doing exactly what Id like to do... good call and I cant wait til I can do the same!

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
great video 9r..

until I can ride the wheels off mine at the track I'll keep the 600. Maybe the grass is not always greener on the other side..

Go for the fireblade so you can tell us all about it.
Thanks!

And on the 1000, what would you like to know?

:)

Thought I'd rub it in a little... ;)

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
GTFO Niner.

j/k.

what you said sounds ideal. liter for the street and ocassional twisties and 600 for the track. i'm in a similar bind as the OP; planning to sell my 600 while its still nice and pretty, then upgrade to an 08 1kRR next year when the prices drop. would be nice to have both but at the moment i can only afford one.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yea guys ive had the dough saved for like 2 years! my main plan was convert my 06 600 to a full track bike, ive got most of the mechanical stuff done to it, exhaust, pc3 custom map, air filter, chain, sprockets etc. now im just gonna sell my fairings which are in prestine condition with slider holes perfectly cut. im gonna get shark skinz.

now im gonna get my dad to co-sign around christmas for the 09 1krr and it should be perfect! as i have enough to pay the bike and some goodies extra. as long as the dealership will toss me $700 bonus bucks for gear. ill spend that on the hayes jolly lid!!!!!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oh niner, nice pics dude, ill have sumthin to rub back in your face next season!! haha. so anyone else what ya think about that new shitzuki 1k?? doesnt look like much of a change.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Your the perfect person for a gsxr750. You want some more power, but your not sure you want all that comes with a literbike. The 750 is perfect for you, think of it as a 600 with 25 more HP.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts