Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has happened to me on a few rare occasion.

I'd come to a complete stop at a stall or red light or whatever at 1st gear with the clutch pulled in. When I try to go into N (1/2 click up), it just won't. I've tried stomping on the shifter to make sure it's in first and it still won't budge into N.

A friend of mine and fellow 600rr rider told me to do this (i've only tried this a couple of times so hopefully my memory is right):

At a stop, if I can't get into N, put the front brake on and then slowly let go of the clutch to the point where I hear a click. Then put it into N.

Has anyone experienced that? Maybe it's a common problem I'm not aware of?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Yeap.. I tried this and it works for me..

Slowly ease out the cluth until you hear a click, and make sure you shift all the way down to 1st and then try to find the N..

But I find this problem more with Kawi ZX-6R 636 than an RR, Never had a problem with the RR on this one.. Always hard to find N on the 636, maybe when I bought it, it was brand new and havent been breaken in yet, after it was broken in, I had less problem finding the N..

·
Resident Leg-Humper Females Beware
6,874 Posts
Yes, i have that happen occassionally, mostly when i'm just starting out the first time. My shifter will move down or up, like it's gonna catch the gear, but won't, so i just let the clutch out a bit like you said, and it pops in. I have no clue what it is or why this happens, but it happens.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I ve never had that happen. Try letting the clutch out a bit, just a little. This will get the gears moving just enough to get it in there. :mrgreen: Yeah like they said. :lol:

·
Registered
730 Posts
What they said works like a charm for me.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I've had this problem before as well.... not very often though. When it happens to me, I just roll back and forth a couple times while holding in the clutch, then I can put it in 1st or N.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I don't mean to sound rude, but why are you trying to shift into neutral at a stop light anyways? It's more safe to stay in first gear and keep the clutch lever pulled in incase you need to move suddenly. At least that's what they teach in the MSF course, to always down shift to first as you come to a stop and keep the bike in gear.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Good point, black600rr03, but sometimes when I stop at a parking lot or gas station, and I don't need to turn off my bike, it's easier to sit and talk a minute without having to hold the clutch. And there are some lights around my town that take FOREVER. I'll only do put it in N if there are cars already stopped around me. If it's a short light, or if I'm the only one stopped, I'll keep it in 1st just in case I need to make a quick move.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I agree with jumbalaya......if I'm at an red light and there are cars behind me and I feel in a safe zone with them I'll drop into N......as for the 1/2 gear..just let the clutch out and try then, like the others said. It will go in just fine.

·
Registered
876 Posts
sometimes at the red light it will take atleast 3 minutes for it to turn green and my finger gets sore after a while thats why I would shift it to N to relax my fingers. but black you are right.

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
I have the problem more of getting the bike from N to 1st if I don't put the bike in 1st before I come to a stop. It happens from time to time...

Jason

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
honiton said:
Yeap.. I tried this and it works for me..

Slowly ease out the cluth until you hear a click, and make sure you shift all the way down to 1st and then try to find the N..

But I find this problem more with Kawi ZX-6R 636 than an RR, Never had a problem with the RR on this one.. Always hard to find N on the 636, maybe when I bought it, it was brand new and havent been breaken in yet, after it was broken in, I had less problem finding the N..
The Kawi has a neat feature that if you are stopped it will only go into nuetral on the first up shift from first. So if you don't worry about getting into nuetral before you stop and just go to first as soon as you stop pull up on the shifter and it will always go into nuetral.

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
black600rr03 said:
I don't mean to sound rude, but why are you trying to shift into neutral at a stop light anyways? It's more safe to stay in first gear and keep the clutch lever pulled in incase you need to move suddenly. At least that's what they teach in the MSF course, to always down shift to first as you come to a stop and keep the bike in gear.
I throw her in N sometimes at a stop light just to site up a little and stretch.

Jason

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
letting out the clutch a lil works for me.. i do it at stop lights so i can let my fingrs relax.. something holding it in all the time at stop lights hurt

1 - 16 of 16 Posts