244 Posts
2003 bone stock 1/8 mile 7.46 @ 101

new upgrades, 520 15 tooth and yosh RS-5 carbon

New time: ??? i'll let you know next Wed. night

·
06/2016 BOTM Winner 07/2015 BOTM Winner
2,862 Posts
Between 11.5 and 11.7

I plan on going to the track this yr as well. I dont think I have any bike tracks around here unless they convert louden raceway into a bike track as well. Until then the good ole 1/4 strip down to Epping will do.

Conversion Chart.

http://www.geocities.com/allstangs/Page.htm

·
2,862 Posts
Whats a good shift point for the RR when at the track? Just redline it or is there a sweet spot in the RPM range you want to shift at?

·
2,862 Posts
You have to be a really good rider to run 10's stock. The RR tests runs at high 10's and thats done by professional magazine writers who do nothing but ride these things all the time and test them.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Warp_Speed said:
Whats a good shift point for the RR when at the track? Just redline it or is there a sweet spot in the RPM range you want to shift at?
ok. so ive never run my bike down the 1/4, however, i used to run my cars. a lot. and the theory remains essentially the same. so if quarter on a bike is anything like in a cage, i have this advice: learn the shift points on your own. a general idea can be gotten by going to a dyno and look at your chart. your peak horsepower is where you want to shift into, or as close to it as possible. learn the rpm drops from gear to gear, attempting to get it as close to the peak hp as possible, without losing top end hp. and learn to feel and hear it. personally from runnin down an old airport access road i find that once you hit 8000 rpm the tach explodes much to fast to watch it continuosly to hit shift points. learn about when you should glance down, and then do it. it moves to fast to watch it continuosly.

i've run a 93 mustang 5.0, 79 T/A, 94 stealth TT, 96 VR-4, and a 04 SRT-4. there are so many different things that go into your times. tire pressure, 02 concentration (which affects mapping), your riding position, how fast you shift personally, your launch technique (huge) etc. shift points are important, but one persons shift points are not going to be yours. trying someone elses might make a difference, but find your own. it'll cost some money cause you'll have to go a few times, but its much better to find your own than to rely on someone elses and get locked into some that might not fit your bike or your style. if you shift slower, you might have a higher shift point, if you shift faster, you probably have a lower point. and a couple hundred rpm does make a difference in a sport measured by hundreths of a second.

btw, im sure you know this, but again your launch is probably the most important thing. a bad launch cannot usually be fixed by great shifting. vice versa, a great launch can overcome some bad shifting. 60 ft times my friend, 60 ft times.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I ran a 10.8 stock, but I have been racing since I was 16, and I raced Front wheel drive cars, I just had a natural Knack to drag race.

I disagree with whom talked about Magazine writers being the best. They are good, but you can be too! I really dont take the opinions of Magazines.

·
Registered
912 Posts
i thought i read that they ran a stock RR at 10.4 stock in magazine tests

·
2,862 Posts
envirocbr said:
I disagree with whom talked about Magazine writers being the best. They are good, but you can be too! I really dont take the opinions of Magazines.
I just ment they have alot of experience w/ doing this stuff. You cant take your avg joe and have them rip off the same 1/4 times.

·
2,862 Posts
cbrdeju said:
ok. so ive never run my bike down the 1/4, however, i used to run my cars. a lot. and the theory remains essentially the same. so if quarter on a bike is anything like in a cage, i have this advice: learn the shift points on your own. a general idea can be gotten by going to a dyno and look at your chart. your peak horsepower is where you want to shift into, or as close to it as possible. learn the rpm drops from gear to gear, attempting to get it as close to the peak hp as possible, without losing top end hp. and learn to feel and hear it. personally from runnin down an old airport access road i find that once you hit 8000 rpm the tach explodes much to fast to watch it continuosly to hit shift points. learn about when you should glance down, and then do it. it moves to fast to watch it continuosly.
I raced my 95 Blown Mustang GT alot last summer so Im no noob to the track but racing the Stang and racing a bike is 2 diffrent worlds. I prob will get it dynoed before I go to the track just so I can see where the peek HP is. My biggest concern is my launch b/c I have never done it w/ a bike yet. I got pretty good w/ the stang cutting off 1.8 60" times on Nitto Drag Raidals.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts