Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, i went to a gas station that i usually dont go too and they had this 100 octane race gas, never seen it before, so i went ahead and paid the ridiculous $8.69/gallon to fill the bike up, ended up costing me like $40. I didnt know if this was okay to put in the bike... I feel alittle difference in throttle response but that seems about it. Is this good for the engine, does it really make any difference in performance? Is it okay to run a tank of this every now and then? Does it help clean anything out? Any info is greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
not worth it. if anything it's bad for your bike. these bikes were designed to run on 87-93 octane (check owners manual)

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was a Pennszoil station, i think owned by Purvis Brothers. Atleast there were pennszoil signs out front...

·
Registered
849 Posts
Yeah, that extra octane may not be so good.

Know someone who added some octane booster after filling up with premium 93.

They had an R6 '04. It sort of shot out a two foot flame and backfired dramatically after letting off the gas between 10-12K rpms.

So, let us know if any difference is noticed. Also, if there were any designations such as whether or not either methanol or ethanol were a percentage of the fuel.

·
Registered
760 Posts
When I raced motocross I had a unmixed jug of some 113 sunoco fuel. Long story short driving home From a race I ran outta gas in the middle of no where and used it in my truck. Burnt up my cat, all O2 sensors.. Needless to say the truck was traded in shortly after.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
from what i have gathered from reading octane threads on this forum, octane is not an indicator of performance, it only indicates the fuels resistance to detonation inside the engine (?????). ask tenjin, he knows all this octane business.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
When I raced motocross I had a unmixed jug of some 113 sunoco fuel. Long story short driving home From a race I ran outta gas in the middle of no where and used it in my truck. Burnt up my cat, all O2 sensors.. Needless to say the truck was traded in shortly after.
Based on the info of unmixed fuel I'm guessing it was LEADED fuel. Which is very bad for vehicles now lol but if I was left out in the middle of nowhere you have very little options i shouldn't say I wouldn't do the same lol

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Waste of money, unless you have adjusted your bike's ECM/computer via tuning to take advantage of the higher octane stuff (same goes for cars, etc).

·
BOTM Winner 07/12
1,714 Posts
Also if you have the stock exhaust the gas will quickly clog your cat. Octane is a measurment if resistance to detonation under pressure. If your not running an engine the has higher compression or if the ignition is significantly advanced to require it, its a waste.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Based on the info of unmixed fuel I'm guessing it was LEADED fuel. Which is very bad for vehicles now lol but if I was left out in the middle of nowhere you have very little options i shouldn't say I wouldn't do the same lol

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

Yeah.. Lol I was a kid still back then 2004... I didnt know any better. Truck was a 2004 Nissan frontier supercharged ed. Was fun while it lasted haha

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Basically; the higher, the octane the higher the compression ratio needs to be.

If you are running a race motor with high compression you will NEED high octane fuel for the engine to run properly.

The octane does'nt give you more power. It resists combustion due to comression. (fuel can combust if the too much pressure is created when it is in the proper air fuel ratio) if you put low octane in an engine that has high compression the fuel will start combusting early, before the spark plug fires, which can be quite bad for the engine.

If you put high octane fule in an engine with lower compretion ratios, the fuel will not combust as efficiently as it should and will cause loss of power and likely cause rich running conditions.

correct me if I am wrong.

Reactions: dixon cider

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
So, i went to a gas station that i usually dont go too and they had this 100 octane race gas, never seen it before, so i went ahead and paid the ridiculous $8.69/gallon to fill the bike up, ended up costing me like $40. I didnt know if this was okay to put in the bike... I feel alittle difference in throttle response but that seems about it. Is this good for the engine, does it really make any difference in performance? Is it okay to run a tank of this every now and then? Does it help clean anything out? Any info is greatly appreciated...
its probably got less ethanol, which would accoutn for the the better throttle response...

but other than that, its not doing a damn thing for you

higher octane does not mean its a better fuel, it just means it resists blowing up from heat / compression more than lower octane fuel, thats ALL that it means

since you have not modified your motor from stock (assuming so any ways) any higher octane than what is required to stop knock / pinging (99% of the people are going to be able to get away with what the book recommends) is a total waste of money, there is 0 benifit other wise.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the info. I road around all day sunday with it. I think i noticed alittle better throttle response but nothing great. Bike did run fine tho, no pinging or backfiring nothing like that. But, seems to me it def was a waste of $40...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thanks for the info. I road around all day sunday with it. I think i noticed alittle better throttle response but nothing great. Bike did run fine tho, no pinging or backfiring nothing like that. But, seems to me it def was a waste of $40...
Did it smell good at least?? haha

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yep.. If the bikes not tuned for it will not show any gains. You will probably see sucky mpg and could mess the O2 sensor up as well because of the lead in race fuels.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts